Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raab

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
I got the 512gb to replace my iPhone XS Max 512gb for no other reason as to keep the same storage spec

Reactions: phill85

Surfer13134

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2010
Florida
I went with 512 this year. I take tons of videos and I plan on using Pro Res just to have the raw files I can edit to do whatever I want with and for that I wanted more storage to store that video on and not worry about my phone running out of storage space.

coso

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2012
I think they do it for peace of mind, professional needs or have disposable income. I feel there are a little more sad instances where someone needs to spend as much as they can to feel better than others. But they are quite rare I hope

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
Music.

I have a couple hundred GB of DSD, FLAC, WAV files that I listen to with an audio DAC(digital to analog converter) and a set of Shure SE-846.

There are some high-res, lossless files that are over a GB for a single song.

There are other devices I could use besides an iPhone, but then that’s more cost and one more thing to carry.

These larger storage size options are great!

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
I went with 512gb as I plan to start using the video more, as I want to improve my skills with it. And I like to have my Canon photos on my phone (32mp sensor so the photos are huge).

Reactions: rgarjr

Prabas

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2010
Europe
I went with 512 this year. I take tons of videos and I plan on using Pro Res just to have the raw files I can edit to do whatever I want with and for that I wanted more storage to store that video on and not worry about my phone running out of storage space.
ProRes is 6GB/min btw.

Reactions: George Dawes

dallegre

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2016
I went for the 512. I plan on shooting some ProRes, and that will fill up the storage fast. It's going to be a shoot and offload workflow for sure.

Rockbird86

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
London
I went with 512GB this time after years of 265GB. I like to keep lots of video on my phone, things that aren't available to stream.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
I went with 512GB this time after years of 265GB. I like to keep lots of video on my phone, things that aren't available to stream.
Curious, what are some example of the video that you are talking about?

Video storage. If you take a lot of video or want to use it at times as your primary camera, you need the storage.

Even so, 512GB or 1TB still isn't enough. For example my wife has roughly 800GB of video/photos, if it's wasn't for iCloud she would have to go up to 1TB. Even then, it's just a matter of time before she gets to 1TB. So without iCloud photo storage optimization, 256/512 or 1TB is really the same to her. I suppose one could always argue what happen when you are without internet, that might be the case a few years ago but these days that situation is few and far in between.

Marli

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
I don’t keep videos on the phone. But as a travel vlogger I need to be able to take video for. A few days before unloading them for editing. And also use the phone as a phone. Apps, email, etc.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
I don’t keep videos on the phone. But as a travel vlogger I need to be able to take video for. A few days before unloading them for editing. And also use the phone as a phone. Apps, email, etc.
This makes sense. Do you often travel to places with absolutely no internet?

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
It was only $100 to double the memory from 256GB to 512GB. And I like to be protected from those "ya never know" situations. I also told myself it would be good for resale value down the road, but that was just some mental gymnastics on my part to help justify upgrading. :)

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
2TB of icloud storage costs $9.99 per month. My 1TB iphone costs $8 per month more than my previous model. iCloud Photo Library introduces delay when opening photos and videos, and the syncing is buggy and unpredictable to me. I store lossless music on my phone rather than streaming. Streaming music, podcasts, and video isn’t free, it pushes me into the “slowed during times of network congestion” area of my plan, and it doesn’t work as reliably as having it stored on my phone. Cellular signals are sometimes poor.

Reactions: nanotoj

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Music.

I have a couple hundred GB of DSD, FLAC, WAV files that I listen to with an audio DAC(digital to analog converter) and a set of Shure SE-846.

There are some high-res, lossless files that are over a GB for a single song.

There are other devices I could use besides an iPhone, but then that’s more cost and one more thing to carry.

These larger storage size options are great!

This to me has always been the beauty in a smartphone, once the hardware to do it all is there, why should you need to carry another device?
I still hear a lot of people say “it’s just a phone, why so much storage!?”
Yet, your smartphone is the one device you carry with you almost everywhere everyday, why should it not be able to carry all that you want (within reason) where you go?
Even the iCloud arguments are useless when you are on a road trip or in some rural place with no high speed internet.

I am no audiophile, but I love my music, movie and series and if I am in sitting in some random airport and I don’t want to connect to public WiFi, I am happy that I have all my stuff stored locally on my phone, I throw it into Airplane mode and enjoy what I want.

Love your use case!

I remember using a Nokia N80 back in the Symbian days when I was in high school, rocking a 128mb memory card in it, watching a horror film on its tiny 2.1inch screen while on a road trip and then switching to my Sony PSP with a 1GB memory stick and wishing both device could be combined as the Nokia had what was at the time, a “high density display” (~259 ppi) and I was playing AVI format movies via DivX player, lol.

Last edited:

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
They are nearly the only places I travel. Remote Australian deserts and outback. Both ADV motorcycle and 4x4.. The phone is a main camera when on the bike due to the room and weight limitations. Loving the ever improving cameras.

Very cool, would you feel that a smaller size phone with say an external drive also be an option for you?

POWERPLANTHOMER

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2021
I got the 1 TB because that’s what I do every year. I have kids also. I run gas turbine combined cycle power plants so I’m a super user at work (that doesn’t explain 1 TB).

Marli

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Very cool, would you feel that a smaller size phone with say an external drive also be an option for you?
Maybe.. but just getting a bigger storage option is better, and they I can also use a drive if I want to.

Zubba

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2007
I got the 1TB, because I started using my phone as a wireless backup to my Canon EOS R. I would have been fine with 512, but figured to give myself some cushion.

Reactions: Tsepz

daddyd302

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2012
West Allis, WI
It was only $100 to double the memory from 256GB to 512GB. And I like to be protected from those "ya never know" situations. I also told myself it would be good for resale value down the road, but that was just some mental gymnastics on my part to help justify upgrading. :)
Where did you get $100 from? I had to pay $200 more from 256GB to 512GB and 1 TB is also $200 more from the 512GB. Maybe you meant from 128GB to 256GB.

As for me I got the 512GB because I wanted blue and that was the only one available. I wanted the 256GB originally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.