Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
Canon has a mail-in rebate for EOS 5D ($300) and EOS Digital Rebel XT/350D ($100) for purchase between April 1 to July 15.

Canon typically updates DSLR model every 18 months or so, particularly on the low- to mid-end.
  • EOS Digital Rebel 300D (9/03) - 18 months -> EOS Digital Rebel XT 350D (3/05)
  • EOS D30 (10/00) - 17 months -> EOS D60 (3/02) - 12 months -> EOS 10D (3/03) - 18 months -> EOS 20D (9/04) - 17 months -> EOS 30D (2/06)
  • EOS 5D (8/05)
  • EOS-1D (12/01) - 29 months -> EOS-1D Mark II (4/04) - 16 months -> EOS-1D Mark II N (8/05)
  • EOS-1Ds (11/02) - 24 months -> EOS-1Ds Mark II (11/04)
Perhaps Rebel XT and 5D replacements will be unveiled around the time the rebate expires?

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Rebates are a way of adjusting price points within a competitive marketplace without really committing to too much of a permanent commitment one way or the other.

Overall, I'd really not read too much into this particular rebate. Compared to the "Fall 2005 Cash In With Canon" program, this one is small peanuts.

-hh

cheekyspanky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2004
South Bucks, UK
I bought my 350D back in November with a Canon/Mastercard rebate.

Just got my £100 cheque in the post. :)

I think they do various rebate schemes quite often, most of the time they tend to hide them though.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
-hh said:
Rebates are a way of adjusting price points within a competitive marketplace without really committing to too much of a permanent commitment one way or the other.

Overall, I'd really not read too much into this particular rebate. Compared to the "Fall 2005 Cash In With Canon" program, this one is small peanuts.

Right you are. Until states start forcing rebates to be done at the time of purchase (Maryland considered such a bill recently), rebates are a great way for companies to have a price reduction that might not happen on 40% of their particular product. It is also a great marketing tool to decide if the rebate amount is worth passing on in a price decrease.

ipacmm said:
I was thinking about picking up the EOS-1Ds Mark II ...but now if a new one might be coming out, I might wait....

Figure that there will be no new major product announcements till August or September at least. One, there is the big Photokina show in Germany in September. Two, the manufactures hit up the dealers in September with their Q4 orders.

Given that the 1Ds was announced in 9/2002, and the 1Ds mkII in 9/2004 - it seems likely there might be an update of some sort later this year. I doubt that CMOS technology will allow for a jump to 20+mp in the 24x36mm format at this time.

My wish list for a 1Ds mkIIn would be:
- Price reduction to about $5,500US
- Exposure compensation and bracketing to match the D200
- A high speed crop like that in the D2X, that would engage automatically when one mounts an EF-S lens, and would be available via menus for EF lenses.
- A built-in ST-E2 capability for wireless flash
- An Olympus like sonic cleaning of the sensor

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Chip NoVaMac said:
- A high speed crop like that in the D2X, that would engage automatically when one mounts an EF-S lens, and would be available via menus for EF lenses.
No can do, remember EF-S lenses employ a shorter back focus, the large mirrors of the Full Frame SLRs make this probably impossible.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
jared_kipe said:
No can do, remember EF-S lenses employ a shorter back focus, the large mirrors of the Full Frame SLRs make this probably impossible.

Yeah, I know. But maybe their engineers could do something to make it possible. one can dream. :)

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
Chip NoVaMac said:
Figure that there will be no new major product announcements till August or September at least. One, there is the big Photokina show in Germany in September. Two, the manufactures hit up the dealers in September with their Q4 orders.

Given that the 1Ds was announced in 9/2002, and the 1Ds mkII in 9/2004 - it seems likely there might be an update of some sort later this year. I doubt that CMOS technology will allow for a jump to 20+mp in the 24x36mm format at this time.

My wish list for a 1Ds mkIIn would be:
- Price reduction to about $5,500US
- Exposure compensation and bracketing to match the D200
- A built-in ST-E2 capability for wireless flash
- An Olympus like sonic cleaning of the sensor

Thanks for the info. I think I am just going to wait until the new version comes out...I really don't want to pay $7K for a camera and in a few months have it already be outdated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.