Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tawollen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
I have a problem with my mac mini, and hope someone has an answer.

The issue seems to be exactly(?) what this user is reporting.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...loops-at-apple-logo-but-can-boot-to-safe-mode

Mac mini has reboot loop when running normally.
-It will boot fine into safe mode (so I assume power supply is OK)
-I moved the hard drive to another 2011 mac mini and HD works fine in that one (so I assume hard drive/OS OK)
-Installed a new HD in "broken" mac mini, new OSX install and still have reboot loop (so probably not installed software)
-I took memory out of the working Mac mini and replaced memory and still reboots (so probably not memory)
-Have tried to reset NVRAM still reboot loop
-Apple hardware test (AHT) passes

User in the other thread said it was related to sleep, not sure how. Strangely enough, disabiliing all power saving in my account seemed to help.. not fix the problem. Occasionally, it will boot completely and I can log in and then some random time later it will restart the reboot cycle.

I am at a loss now, it used to work fine, and seems to slowly have developed this reboot loop problem.

for this

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2014
I have a problem with my mac mini, and hope someone has an answer.

The issue seems to be exactly(?) what this user is reporting.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...loops-at-apple-logo-but-can-boot-to-safe-mode

Mac mini has reboot loop when running normally.
-It will boot fine into safe mode (so I assume power supply is OK)
-I moved the hard drive to another 2011 mac mini and HD works fine in that one (so I assume hard drive/OS OK)
-Installed a new HD in "broken" mac mini, new OSX install and still have reboot loop (so probably not installed software)
-I took memory out of the working Mac mini and replaced memory and still reboots (so probably not memory)
-Have tried to reset NVRAM still reboot loop
-Apple hardware test (AHT) passes

User in the other thread said it was related to sleep, not sure how. Strangely enough, disabiliing all power saving in my account seemed to help.. not fix the problem. Occasionally, it will boot completely and I can log in and then some random time later it will restart the reboot cycle.

I am at a loss now, it used to work fine, and seems to slowly have developed this reboot loop problem.

Have you tried disconnecting all/unneeded USB devices? Although, IME, a usb-related problem will crash the first booting but the second will be fine, not in the loop. But it's not hard to try.

tawollen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Have you tried disconnecting all/unneeded USB devices? Although, IME, a usb-related problem will crash the first booting but the second will be fine, not in the loop. But it's not hard to try.

Yup.. Everything disconnected.. ended up plugging in Mac USB keyboard to be able to boot to safe mode, but what is plugged in doesn't seem to matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.