Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nullx86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
Wilmington/Jacksonville, NC
Hey guys, I was starting to look for a camera, but have no idea what to get. I dont want a DSLR, but something thats digital and will take good shots if needed. I was looking a a Nikon Coolpix s570 and Sony Cybershot DSC-t90/b & DSC-hH20/b. Are these decent or do I need to go with something else? I want something that can shoot high res (say 1920x1200 or above) and wont get blinded in day light. Thanks, null_x86

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
1920x1200 is only 2.3 megapixel. Surely you want something higher res than that ;) (Unless you're talking about video capabilities)

By asking for a camera that won't get "blinded in daylight", what you're asking for (perhaps without realizing it) is a camera with a high dynamic range. Hard to find in a point and shoot, or any consumer camera for that matter

electroshock

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
The camera that gives a lot of DSLR photographers (even Nikon and Canon folks) major wood would be the Panasonic Lumix DMC-L3. VERY nice overall quality! And is much more like a P&S (point-and-shoot) and not a DSLR at all. But comes packed with really, really good performance for a reasonable price point ($400-$500) at an attractive size, weight, and ease of usability.

If you're price-sensitive, try a Canon G10 or some such high quality but previous camera generation; that'd be closer to about $200. But you'd be trading off some capabilities. Don't have the DMC-L3 or the G10, myself, but these two would be what I'd probably buy if I needed something for either area of need.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
1920x1200 is only 2.3 megapixel. Surely you want something higher res than that ;) (Unless you're talking about video capabilities)

By asking for a camera that won't get "blinded in daylight", what you're asking for (perhaps without realizing it) is a camera with a high dynamic range. Hard to find in a point and shoot, or any consumer camera for that matter

It would be hard to find a camera with such low resolution. But if you only look at pictures on an electronic screen then low resolution is better. For a given CCD size the few the pixels the better the dynamic range. But this is moot as this kind of camera is not sold.

The one thing that sets a good camera apart is the lens. Good optics is physically large and costs more so there is a trend away from this

iTiki

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Maui, Hawaii
Check out the new Canon S90. There are reviews on line. Try http://www.kenrockwell.com for one such review. I plan on getting one of these to carry with me at all times to supplement my DSLR. I have missed some good photo opportunities when I did not have a camera with me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.