Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcumming

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2008
I had my phone on silent. Do not disturb was not enabled. I do not have any contacts set as emergency bypass. I do have a few contacts set as favorites. When I set my phone on silent and my wife texted me I heard the default text sound as opposed to the sound I set up for her. I thought the phone should actually be completely silent. Any ideas? Thank you very much in advance, Peter and have a good weekend

panoptica

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2021
My iPhone is on silent at all times yet sometimes I hear that certain sound. It is definitely coming from my phone and I am not imagining it. Strange thing however there is absolutely no message or notification I am aware of, checked everything. 😅

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Yes, exactly the same issue on my iPhone 14 pro max. Phone on silent and still getting audible alerts for texts. As mentioned above this is no doubt yet another bug in this complete abortion of an OS!

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2021
I fixed this once but forgot how. Not eager to recreate the problem by fiddling with settings. I think it has to do with favorites, so try removing her from favorites and have her send a new text.

If it is only happening for your wife and she is not a favorite, then try deleting her as a contact, delete the message thread, and start fresh. Re-add her contact info, have her send a test message, and see what happens.

you can also try changing the notification alert tone for iMessage to none if you are always on silent.

hope one of those works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.