Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcguru83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a "dedicated" CF reader that will plug directly into my MBP. I don't want to have to mess with a USB cable--I want it to go directly into the MBP.

There are a plethora of these available on Amazon, but not many have reviews. Can anyone recommend one that they know to be fast/reliable?

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
USB will be much slower than the Firewire or Expresscard options out there. That said, I bought a SanDisk ImageMate 12-in-1 Reader/Writer (SDDR-89) for about $30. It has a tiny cable that plugs into the Mac. The reason I got the 12-in-1 is because I got sick of not being able to dump photos onto my laptop from friend's and family's cameras at parties and during the holidays.

uaaerospace

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Alabama
The reason I got the 12-in-1 is because I got sick of not being able to dump photos onto my laptop from friend's and family's cameras at parties and during the holidays.

I'm a fan of multiple-in-one's for the same reason. I can carry around one device and be able to read anything you throw at it. Plus, if I get a new camera with a different type memory, I don't have to purchase a new card reader. I'm unsure if they make these in noncabled versions as the OP desires.

pcguru83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Charlotte, NC
You know, as a still somewhat new Mac user, I still haven't gotten used to the fact that I can reliably use Firewire options now.

I suppose I'd be willing to give up the portability I was looking for and see what kind of Firewire solutions I can find. Although honestly, if I'm going to spend $40 for another reader, I think I'd rather just spend the extra $20 and get the ExpressCard reader that Lovesong linked to.

Thanks for all the recommendations so far.

kismoore

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
earth... presently
Bought the same reader/writer this morning.

USB will be much slower than the Firewire or Expresscard options out there. That said, I bought a SanDisk ImageMate 12-in-1 Reader/Writer (SDDR-89) for about $30. It has a tiny cable that plugs into the Mac. The reason I got the 12-in-1 is because I got sick of not being able to dump photos onto my laptop from friend's and family's cameras at parties and during the holidays.

It will not mount on my desktop or in the finder.
Shows up in ATMac under more info...
as usb high-speed bus (14 in 1 reader/writer)

Getting no assistance from sandisc. they say it's "plug and go" for mac osx 10.4

all the lights are working properly, can't read inserted cards but the green comes on.
any ideas?

kismoore

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
earth... presently
Never mind..... working fine now.

It will not mount on my desktop or in the finder.
Shows up in ATMac under more info...
as usb high-speed bus (14 in 1 reader/writer)

Getting no assistance from sandisc. they say it's "plug and go" for mac osx 10.4

all the lights are working properly, can't read inserted cards but the green comes on.
any ideas?

Unplugged the base, plugged it in with the short travel cord. worked fine, replugged into desk base, working fine now.:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.