Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Couch
Evening all,

Now that I'm a Nikon D40 owner I've passed on my old Canon Powershot to a kiddie in the family.....so, I'm looking to replace it with something handy and neat, for times I won't have my Nikon with me.

So, can you recommend a good quality ultra compact camera? I'm looking for something with reasonable quality video - not sure how to define 'reasonable' here, but very good would be nice. :)

I liked the look of the Fuji FinePix F50 but it didn't get a great review on YouTube, so might give that a miss.

Budget: e200/$300.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Couch
Many thanks, will have a look at the Kodak and the more compact Powershots (the one I've just given away is a bit bigger than I need). Thanks again.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The canons record only in M-JPEG, which stores only about 8 minutes per gigabyte.

Look for something with MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) and that can optically zoom while recording.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
The canons record only in M-JPEG, which stores only about 8 minutes per gigabyte.

Look for something with MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) and that can optically zoom while recording.
I think that very few P&S compacts can optically zoom while recording. Too much motor noise.

We own a Canon XTi right now, but we're looking to replace the 5 year old Sony P&S. I'm thinking about the Panasonic TZ5 since it has a very good HD (1280x720) mode and a great 10x lens. However, the Canon P&S cameras seem to have the best PQ around, and in the end, that's the most important thing.

I plan on trying out the Panny TZ5 and compare it to the latest Canon A-series (the SD series just doesn't have enough manual controls for me ... for that matter, the TZ5 is skimpy on the manual controls as well).

ft

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I think that very few P&S compacts can optically zoom while recording. Too much motor noise.

It seems to me that this feature has been becoming more common lately. What happens, is that usually they turn off the mic when doing that, or you get the motor noise if they don't.

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Couch

Thanks Cube - looks like this one might fit the bill, the Casio Exilim Zoom EX-Z1080?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
It seems to me that this feature has been becoming more common lately. What happens, is that usually they turn off the mic when doing that, or you get the motor noise if they don't.

Interesting. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
In addition to the standard formats, the Panasonic TZ5 records in HD Widescreen (1280x720 @ 30fps) and you get the bonus of a superb 10x Leica lens (28-280mm).

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
In addition to the standard formats, the Panasonic TZ5 records in HD Widescreen (1280x720 @ 30fps) and you get the bonus of a superb 10x Leica lens (28-280mm).

M-JPEG for Panasonic. 4 minutes per gigabyte for HD high quality.

Continuous recording time is limited to 15 minutes (at least in Europe).

The same goes for the FX500.

pna

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
I've had good luck with my canon a610 for movies as AVI files. Not fantastic quality, but pretty good for catching the moment. I've been tempted to pick up a casio solely for the video capability (h.264) (and physical size). The ex-v8 might fit your needs, or the ex-v7 is about fifty bucks cheaper and only seems to give up 1x zoom.

I'd actually be interested to know if anyone has one of these, and their thoughts on it. The camera. Not on Ken Rockwell.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/casio/ex-v8.htm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.