Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2006
I want to replace my aging digital camera (got it about 7 years ago). I use images as a graphic designer but don't want to be encumbered with an DSLR as I know I will leave it at home 80% of the time. Therefore I'd like a compact that I can carry everywhere. Can you recommend a good quality camera that is durable, has some settings I can play with and isn't too large.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
There's only like 300 options. Can you tell us a bit more about what you are looking for?

I used Canon ELPHs (or the A series). The menus are very easy to navigate, they are super-quick to come on and quick to take pictures. They have a great battery wall recharger you can purchase and they use SD cards, which are easy to find. ELPHs (or IXUS in Europe) are also REALLY small. I currently have the 800IS (as well as a 300). The 800's widest angle is 28mm, which is nice. IS stands for Image Stabilization, though a lot of cameras now have OIS in just a slightly bigger package.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2006
Small size is important but I'd not go smaller then the size of say two Classic iPods placed together, for the sake of better shots.

Image Stabilization sounds good – does it differ much between manufacturers?

In order of priority I'd have;

Image quality
Configurable settings
Durability
Portability

Not worried about cost if the camera is worth it.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I want to replace my aging digital camera (got it about 7 years ago). I use images as a graphic designer but don't want to be encumbered with an DSLR as I know I will leave it at home 80% of the time. Therefore I'd like a compact that I can carry everywhere. Can you recommend a good quality camera that is durable, has some settings I can play with and isn't too large.

Thanks for any suggestions!

I have a DSLR system but still like to have a P&S too. Like you said, you can't always take the SLR with you. You need both.

I've been lusting after the Leica D-Lux 3 for a long time. I can't quite justify the price so I'm looking at the nearly identical Panasonic model But Leica has such a reputation that it may be worth the extra $$

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06091408leicadlux3.asp

The camera has a wide image sensor, like my DSLR. It is a relativly large sensor too and the camer can shoot in RAW format and has some good movie modes. the wide sensor makes this camera unique among P&S

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
I have a DSLR system but still like to have a P&S too. Like you said, you can't always take the SLR with you. You need both.

I've been lusting after the Leica D-Lux 3 for a long time. I can't quite justify the price so I'm looking at the nearly identical Panasonic model But Leica has such a reputation that it may be worth the extra $$

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06091408leicadlux3.asp

The camera has a wide image sensor, like my DSLR. It is a relativly large sensor too and the camer can shoot in RAW format and has some good movie modes. the wide sensor makes this camera unique among P&S

Great camera but will there be an update D-Lux 3

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
If you plan to shoot a lot in low light, see if you can get your hands on a Fuji F31fd (or F30). They're legendary in low light and nothing Fuji have come out with since appear to live up to it (though that is up for debate). No Raw though. And its not got a great manual mode (though there are workarounds).

For something versatile, the Canon G9 seems to be a favourite. Good image quality with large zoom in P&S's are a rarity. It can also shoot in RAW. I think it has a pretty flexible manaul mode too.

For really nice colours where low light isn't an issue, and if zoom isn't that much of an issue, the Ricoh GX100 looks good. Also RAW, and very flexible. Also has a good wide-angle, a rarity in good P&S's. Downside is that low-light performance probably isn't that brilliant.

sonor

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
London, UK
Sigma DP1

The Sigma DP1 looks quite interesting

http://www.sigma-dp1.com/

large SLR/APS-C size sensor - about 10 times bigger than most P&S cameras

but it has a fixed lens - 16.6mm/f4 (equivalent to 28mm on a 35mm camera)

and it's not out until spring

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Ultracompact: Canon PowerShot SD870 IS or SD950 IS. If you prefer wide angle landscape photography, get SD870. If you prefer telephoto, get SD950. Both have minimal set of manual features (e.g., shutter speed, aperture) and noisy image quality at high ISO speed (like 99% of the competitors out there).

If you want manual and cleaner high ISO performance, Fuji FinePix F50fd.

Regular point & shoot: Canon PowreShot G9. Arguably the best non-SLR camera (under $500) on the market.

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
Canon slim designs are great cameras. 870, 900, 1000, get one from Costco. If you don't like it, return it. For it's size, weight, and compactness, I think the small Canon p&s s are great cameras.

Just one fellow's opinion. (I'm not pushing Canon in general. I use a D300 for a dSLR. I don't care if it says Canon, Nikon, or Crappycamerafromsoutheastasiavillage. If it gets the job done at the right price, I'm buying it.)

I like Canon compacts. How much can you really play with the settings in a p&s compact?

For higher end stuff, use or borrow a dSLR.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Great camera but will there be an update D-Lux 3

I think "maybe" because The current model is marked down at Amazon.com

Someday cameras and computers will be like cars. New models will come out but no one will care because there is almost zero difference from the current model. This will happen as the technology matures. Cars are now 100 year old technology. It is mature technology now and changes slowly, so slowly we don't even want to bother changing out or cars every year.

How long until digital cameras and computers reach this stage? I'd argue that we are real close. So close that I don't care much about the D-lux3 What could they do? Make the viewing angle of the LCD screen wider? Maybe improve the battery? I don't want more pixels on the sensor.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2006
I think "maybe" because The current model is marked down at Amazon.com

Someday cameras and computers will be like cars. New models will come out but no one will care because there is almost zero difference from the current model. This will happen as the technology matures. Cars are now 100 year old technology. It is mature technology now and changes slowly, so slowly we don't even want to bother changing out or cars every year.

How long until digital cameras and computers reach this stage? I'd argue that we are real close. So close that I don't care much about the D-lux3 What could they do? Make the viewing angle of the LCD screen wider? Maybe improve the battery? I don't want more pixels on the sensor.

Interesting post – I thought they were a long way off that stage, but I don't follow camera tech very closely.

I'm going to go with a Canon G9 – partly due to my bias for Canon.

Here is the first digital camera I bought (still going strong!)

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2004
I'd steer away from the G9 which, although it's getting some good reviews, really pushes the line of what I consider "compact".

I find that Canon compact cameras are generally superior to Nikon/Sonys, so I'd recommend looking at the SD870/850 IS. Image stabilization is nice, and I think they would be, overall, more pocket-friendly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.