Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 25, 2003
Hi folks,

I'm looking to get a good rugged and waterproof P&S. I spend a lot of time in and around the water and would rather not subject my dSLR to the dangers of submersion. Last summer I had a close call while sea kayaking, and that was enough to convince me to get a waterproof camera.

I'd also like this P&S to be good enough to act as a general carry-around camera when I don't feel like lugging my dSLR around. So it's non-underwater picture quality needs to be pretty good, and it has to be pocketable enough that I'll carry it around. Video isn't all that important, since I have a waterproof pocket camcorder.

There are lots of waterproof P&S cameras on the market these days, and it's difficult to make a decision. Based on what I've read so far, I'm considering the following:

- Pentax Optio W90
- Panasonic Lumix TS2
- Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5
- Canon D10

The Canon gets great marks for picture quality, but the form factor is off-putting. It looks like a little ball, and I'm sure it carries in the pocket like one as well.

Any input would be appreciated. I'm not wedded to the list above, nor to any particular manufacturer. I just want a good, all-round camera that will take a bit of a beating in and out of the water.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
Hi folks,

I'm looking to get a good rugged and waterproof P&S. I spend a lot of time in and around the water and would rather not subject my dSLR to the dangers of submersion. Last summer I had a close call while sea kayaking, and that was enough to convince me to get a waterproof camera.

I'd also like this P&S to be good enough to act as a general carry-around camera when I don't feel like lugging my dSLR around. So it's non-underwater picture quality needs to be pretty good, and it has to be pocketable enough that I'll carry it around. Video isn't all that important, since I have a waterproof pocket camcorder.

There are lots of waterproof P&S cameras on the market these days, and it's difficult to make a decision. Based on what I've read so far, I'm considering the following:

- Pentax Optio W90
- Panasonic Lumix TS2
- Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5
- Canon D10

The Canon gets great marks for picture quality, but the form factor is off-putting. It looks like a little ball, and I'm sure it carries in the pocket like one as well.

Any input would be appreciated. I'm not wedded to the list above, nor to any particular manufacturer. I just want a good, all-round camera that will take a bit of a beating in and out of the water.

Yeah as for picture quality Canon is tough to beat, but it looks UGLY! I don't know what canon was thinking.

The TX5 is a great camera, also has a touch screen. It's also Sony's FIRST underwater camera. Gives you a lot of features.

The one i recommend is the Olympus Tough 8010. That thing is a solid camera! It's Shock proof upto a 6 feet drop, it's Crush proof to 200 lbs, it's waterproof to 30 feet and Freeze proof to -10 degrees C.
It's not Olympus' first Tough camera, they have been making these for years, so they have good experience. It does 720p Hi-Def movie too, so u don't have to carry your pocket camcorder around too. And it now takes SD cards so you won't have to spend more money on buying xD cards.

So the toss up for me would definitely be between the TX5 and Tough 8010.

My 2 cents! Good luck with your decision!

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
The Olympus TOUGH models have a poor reputation, except that they can take more of a beating given their size than the competition. Reviews bash them for having poor controls and image quality, which I can attest to, having owned one. Since you're not diving or throwing your camera against rocks, something less heavy-duty and better in terms of interface and image quality would probably be better.

I have a TX7 (the TX5's hydrophobic cousin), and it's a great performer. I would've chosen the TX5 if it had 1080p video, but it only has a measly 720p [/sarcasm].

I'd say Sony TX5 as a first choice, followed by Panasonic TS2.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 25, 2003
The Olympus TOUGH models have a poor reputation, except that they can take more of a beating given their size than the competition. Reviews bash them for having poor controls and image quality, which I can attest to, having owned one. Since you're not diving or throwing your camera against rocks, something less heavy-duty and better in terms of interface and image quality would probably be better.

I have a TX7 (the TX5's hydrophobic cousin), and it's a great performer. I would've chosen the TX5 if it had 1080p video, but it only has a measly 720p [/sarcasm].

I'd say Sony TX5 as a first choice, followed by Panasonic TS2.

Thanks to both of you. I've read the same things about the Olympus models, and that's why I didn't put them on the list. I was leaning towards the Panasonic until I read about the Sony. But since it was Sony's first foray into the waterproof camera realm, I wasn't sure. Good to know that its TX7 cousin is a great camera. I certainly like the slim profile.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
The Canon D10 is one of the few true waterproof cameras - most only go down 10feet. That said, the Canon does not have a 720p video option - but the picture quality is awesome! (I've done dives down to 40ft and it holds up perfectly)

What sort of time frame are you looking at? There are rumors of a D10 replacement soon.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 25, 2003
What sort of time frame are you looking at? There are rumors of a D10 replacement soon.

Really? That would be great if Canon came out with something new soon. I'm not in any huge rush, but with warmer weather here I'll soon be doing a lot more water-related activities. I just need something for snorkeling, playing at the beach, kayaking, and that sort of thing.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
Thanks to both of you. I've read the same things about the Olympus models, and that's why I didn't put them on the list. I was leaning towards the Panasonic until I read about the Sony. But since it was Sony's first foray into the waterproof camera realm, I wasn't sure. Good to know that its TX7 cousin is a great camera. I certainly like the slim profile.

I have the Sony TX1 myself. Even though the features are great, the performance lacks. The pictures often are grainy and low light pictures have a lot of disturbance.

The features are definitely cool. I use the burst and Swipe mode a lot.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
Really? That would be great if Canon came out with something new soon. I'm not in any huge rush, but with warmer weather here I'll soon be doing a lot more water-related activities. I just need something for snorkeling, playing at the beach, kayaking, and that sort of thing.

Yeah if you can, definitely wait!
It's about that time when Canon should be coming out with a new model of the D10. Can't say I've heard much about it, but the timing is about right.

I know a Canon regional sales rep. I will ask him for info. If I do hear something, I will let you know.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I've been going back between brands for months, wanting something for the summer vacations. I finally settled on the Sony TX5. I should have it in a day or two. I could post or im you a review if you still want one.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 25, 2003
I've been going back between brands for months, wanting something for the summer vacations. I finally settled on the Sony TX5. I should have it in a day or two. I could post or im you a review if you still want one.

A review would be really helpful. Thanks!

And NewDude, if the sales rep you know coughs up any info, that would be helpful too. I just read that some people in Canada are getting new models in return when they send in their busted D10s for repair. So something must be in the pipeline.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
A review would be really helpful. Thanks!

And NewDude, if the sales rep you know coughs up any info, that would be helpful too. I just read that some people in Canada are getting new models in return when they send in their busted D10s for repair. So something must be in the pipeline.

Yeah this is the "New Camera Line Up" time of the year.

So lots of new products keep coming out with new and updated specs.

I haven't heard of anyone getting a new D10 updated model from Canon yet first hand, but I will be sure to ask the guy I know.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Its on the truck! SHould be here any minute! Today, new camera. Tomorrow, Lost. Monday, Super Mario Galaxy 2. I'm in nerd heaven!!!!!

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
OK. Its here. Obviously I didn't do a full-on review that you can get from a web site with stats and examples but here goes:
Keep in mind, im not a pro. Just wanted a camera that takes decent shots and videos (I am in the market for a real HD camcorder so if anyone can recommend a mac-friendly, sd-card storage camcorder, please do) of my kids when we are on vacation and for basic everyday use. Wanted something that could be used at waterparks and on the beach, not necessarily underwater but splash proof and shock proof in case we drop it. My current camera is an Olympus Stylus 810 8 mexapixel and we print out on a tiny canon selphy so that's our standard. The Sony is a tad smaller and uses a touch screen for all menu access but that's not hard to get used to. I took a few inside shots, an underwater shot in the bath and then a hd video starting above the bath, under the water and then back out again. I compared the video to one I took with the olympus and its hard to see any huge improvement. Maybe if I watched it on an HD tv.... However, its good video and audio and I certainly cant take underwater video any other way. I need to take more shots to really compare the photo quality. The first was blurry, probably my fault and the second looked good but printed out a little darker then usual. I'll use this one for a bit and get a better feel for how things come out under normal use - outside and maybe get used to some of the settings. First impressions: easy to use, video is nice enough for a still camera, photos aren't a giant leap better then my old one (this is 10 mp) but I also probably didn't use the correct settings either. Obviously the best part is that it does work well underwater and if I am sacrificing some quality to get shots I wouldn't be able to with my old camera, then so be it. Hopefully, I get a nice hd camcorder for the important stuff and this will be used for disney world and the beach. More to come if you want.....

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
P.S. Just recorded a real short video and watched it on tv. It was grainy on the tv while the video looked better on the iMac. Strange....

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia

Work in a camera shop; and have sold many of the Olympus Stylus Tough series... and nary a complaint. That being said now that we have the Sony TX5 in our shop.. I like the design and features. Waiting to see how the Sony works in the real world with customers and not in forums or blogs.

The proof is in the shots you come back with.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Work in a camera shop; and have sold many of the Olympus Stylus Tough series... and nary a complaint. That being said now that we have the Sony TX5 in our shop.. I like the design and features. Waiting to see how the Sony works in the real world with customers and not in forums or blogs.

The proof is in the shots you come back with.

any thoughts on a hd camcorder for a mac owner? DO you guys sell the Sanyo Dual Camera Xacti VPC-FH1ABK? Its the only hd sd-flash card model like it on the apple web store so I was wondering if thats a good choice for a new camcorder. Its time to upgrade since my old canon is having audio problems (I think when the old mini-dvs get older, you can actually hear all the mechanics inside on your videos). Anyway, I'm in the market for something simple but better then those flip type cameras. Needs to be able to download the hd video onto my imac and use imovie for simple editing.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
any thoughts on a hd camcorder for a mac owner? DO you guys sell the Sanyo Dual Camera Xacti VPC-FH1ABK? Its the only hd sd-flash card model like it on the apple web store so I was wondering if thats a good choice for a new camcorder. Its time to upgrade since my old canon is having audio problems (I think when the old mini-dvs get older, you can actually hear all the mechanics inside on your videos). Anyway, I'm in the market for something simple but better then those flip type cameras. Needs to be able to download the hd video onto my imac and use imovie for simple editing.

The Sanyo Xacti series we did carry a couple years ago - they did not match up to the IQ or features that camcorder users wanted at the time.

I looked at the specs on the current model you mentioned. Seems like Sanyo took the Xacti line to camcorder status - so know idea how well that model will do.

For my shop we hang with Canon video cams mostly with a few Sony's. The closet in specs to the Sanyo you mentioned will be with the Canon HF-S series at about twice the price - but maybe twice the performance maybe.

The Sanyo specs:

Full 1080p HD Video (60fps)
Compatible with iFrame
8-Megapixel Digital Photos and High-Speed Sequential Shooting (12fps*) 
Super Slow Motion Playback Mode (up to 600fps)
3-inch wide LCD Display
10x Optical Zoom for photos
16x advanced zoom for video
Digital Image Stabilizer (Movies & Stills)
Face Chaser technology (can detect up to 12 faces for photos and videos)
Built-in still photo flash
HDMI Output
MPEG-4, H.264 Video
Optional lenses: Tele, Wide, Semi-Fisheye
SD/SDHC memory compatible

The Canon specs on the HF-S series:

Flash Memory

Stunning Image Quality

Dynamic SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization with Powered IS

Instant AF

3.5" High Resolution Touch Panel LCD Screen

Smart Auto

Touch & Track

Genuine Canon Face Detection

Advanced Video Snapshot

Easy Web Sharing

8.0 Megapixel Camera

Native 24p Mode / 24p Cinema Mode / 30p Frame Mode

Terminals

Audio

Additional Features

Both from their websites.

Will say that Canon's Instant AF does work very well.

Not sure based on what I read on the Sanyo site - but the Canon will take a shotgun mike, a surround sound mike (based on the model IIRC), and a video light - all through their mini-S adapter shoe.

I have seen some 8x10 images from the Canon HF-S 8mp series and they hold up well over P&P shoots at the same megapixels.

As for either being able to be used on your Mac... have not tried the Canon as of yet here.

We are going OT here... but I will say that as a still photographer that has dabbled in video I love my Olympus Pen series cameras. They import flawlessly on to my iPad. So I can't see why they can't be used on my Mac's. I just don't need "unlimited" video recording time here. I tend to short clips that don't last more than the 8 minute I have on my Olympus EP series cameras...

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Just a quick follow up to my review. Used my TX5 today for the first time in normal conditions. A backyard party, some indoor shots, some shade, some video, etc. Just transferred all my photos and videos to the imac and both the wife and I were very happy with the quality. We have agreed to use this as our primary camera and are glad that it can also withstand water, shock, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.