Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nhamze

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
Hartford, SD
Can anyone recommend a light box/kit. I am getting into macro photography and while I like the outdoor shots my indoor shots have horrible lighting issues so I was thinking of getting a light box but I am not sure which one is good there are so many different lights and boxes and I don't want to drop a bunch of money on something that is no good. Any help would be appreciated

Nick

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
nhamze said:
Can anyone recommend a light box/kit. I am getting into macro photography and while I like the outdoor shots my indoor shots have horrible lighting issues so I was thinking of getting a light box but I am not sure which one is good there are so many different lights and boxes and I don't want to drop a bunch of money on something that is no good. Any help would be appreciated

Nick

Make one yourself. For very small subjects a 1 galon white plastic milk jug. Just cut out the bottom and one side. For bigger subjects make a tant of out white nylon ripstop. It's not rocket science. For studio shots like these the cheapest Vivitar strobes work well. Use then in manual mode

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
nhamze said:

Nick

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
cookie1105 said:
hey, great link there compuwar.

Thanks, I've got some jewelry to shoot this week and I'm not a jewelry/product photographer, so I've been hunting around for this stuff. It was the best of the 20 or so links I found outside the commercial light tent world, and actually looks better than some of those.

Paul

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Clix Pix said:
Photek makes a fairly inexpensive light tent set. By the way, these things are called a light tent, not a light box. A lightbox is used to view slides and negatives.

Slides? Negatives? Didn't the Egyptions use those to develop heiroglyphics? :D

(I still have two enlargers, a Jobo and 3 view cameras at home.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.