Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
I am in the market for a small point-and-shoot camera, and I thought this would be the best place to start for recommendations.

My 'wants':
  • A Dock. I'm sick of my batteries not being charged. I want to plug it into the dock when I'm done, and not worry aboout it any more. Top priority.
  • 7MP or greater. I don't know... it just seems like a good number. Want to keep up with the neighbors.
  • Compact. I would like it to be easy to slip into a pocket and carry around. Compact or Ultracompact preferably.
  • Easy-to-Use. The camera is actually for my parents. Nuff said.
  • Quality images. Good low-light, good color-saturation, etc. Obviously I want good looking images.
  • Price that I can swallow. Below $400.

Any recommendations would be most appreciated! Thanks!

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007

My 'wants':
  • A Dock. I'm sick of my batteries not being charged. I want to plug it into the dock when I'm done, and not worry aboout it any more. Top priority.

I don't know of any camera out there that will ALWAYS have a full charge. Isn't this really your own fault. :rolleyes:

Plug a camera into a dock or a wall outlet, what's the difference? Am I missing something here? My cell & camera get plugged into an outlet every night... since I need them every day. Seems like an easy routine to follow.:eek:

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
Couch
Well, in the point-and-shoot world I'm a big fan of the Canon Powershots - eg this one. I have the old Powershot G7 and it takes great photos and decent quality videos, which is handy enough. Easy to use, and the newer ones (like the one linked), size-wise, are neat and tidy! I think this one meets all your requirements....but hopefully others will come along to give you some alternatives.

I wouldn't worry too much about a dock either, just have at least two batteries and make sure one is always charging/fully charged, that way your parents will never be stuck.

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
I don't know of any camera out there that will ALWAYS have a full charge. Isn't this really your own fault. :rolleyes:

Plug a camera into a dock or a wall outlet, what's the difference? Am I missing something here? My cell & camera get plugged into an outlet every night... since I need them every day. Seems like an easy routine to follow.:eek:

I guess my reasoning for this is that I always hear my parents say "I was going to take a picture, but the batteries weren't charged." or "I can't find the camera! To me, if they had a dock (most casio cameras I think have this feature) that they would always know where it is, they wouldn't have to keep track of various cords (power, USB) and as long as they put it in the dock after the last time, it would be fully charged the next time they wanted to use it.

It seemed much more simple than having them remove the batter to plug into the wall, or having to find the right cord to plug in (when they actually remembered, etc.) The dock wouldn't be a Huge deal to me, but they are old... and well... you must understand!

I think I might have to give in on this one though if there aren't any 'good cameras' with docks. Giving up quality images and everything else probably wouldn't be worth it just for a dock.

Well, in the point-and-shoot world I'm a big fan of the Canon Powershots - eg this one. I have the old Powershot G7 and it takes great photos and decent quality videos, which is handy enough. Easy to use, and the newer ones (like the one linked), size-wise, are neat and tidy! I think this one meets all your requirements....but hopefully others will come along to give you some alternatives.

I wouldn't worry too much about a dock either, just have at least two batteries and make sure one is always charging/fully charged, that way your parents will never be stuck.

Thanks for posting! I have to admit, I didn't know what to expect or whether or not I would get any suggestions from here. I will definitely look into the Canon cameras... specifically the one you suggested.

If you guys think that my 'wants' are a little off, feel free to ammend them as necessary as well. Maybe I need more than 7mp? Maybe I should be searching for a minimum zoom level as well?

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
I guess my reasoning for this is that I always hear my parents say "I was going to take a picture, but the batteries weren't charged." or "I can't find the camera! To me, if they had a dock (most casio cameras I think have this feature) that they would always know where it is, they wouldn't have to keep track of various cords (power, USB) and as long as they put it in the dock after the last time, it would be fully charged the next time they wanted to use it.

It seemed much more simple than having them remove the batter to plug into the wall, or having to find the right cord to plug in (when they actually remembered, etc.) The dock wouldn't be a Huge deal to me, but they are old... and well... you must understand!

I think I might have to give in on this one though if there aren't any 'good cameras' with docks.

Totally understand. I guess it's like the cordless phone in the house. The first place you look is in the cradle/charger. That said... I think Kodak actually has a DOCK, which charges the camera. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/543379-REG/Kodak_887_6153_EasyShare_M763_Digital_Camera.html

Click on "features" and Midway down the page it reads----

The included Kodak KLIC-7001 rechargeable battery provides sufficient power to take as many as 250 shots and is easily recharged right through your computers USB port. you can also purchase an optional camera dock or an AC adapter for faster and more convenient charging.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Thanks for posting! I have to admit, I didn't know what to expect or whether or not I would get any suggestions from here. I will definitely look into the Canon cameras... specifically the one you suggested.

If you guys think that my 'wants' are a little off, feel free to ammend them as necessary as well. Maybe I need more than 7mp? Maybe I should be searching for a minimum zoom level as well?

The megapixel count really doesn't mean too much... Anything above 6 should be fine. The problem with small cameras that have ~10mp is they are packing a ton of pixels on a small sensor which results in a high pixel density. That can mean you have somewhat grainy images. Besides, the main advantage of having a high megapixel count is for making big prints. Most people never do more than an 8x10 (if that).

Wingnut330

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Central Ohio - USA
I have a Casio Exilim and it rocks. It's the perfect pocket camera. Great zoom, large screen and it does video. It also has an ebay picture mode and a youtube video mode. These modes take pictures and videos in smaller formats ready for the web.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I am in the market for a small point-and-shoot camera, and I thought this would be the best place to start for recommendations.

My 'wants':
  • 7MP or greater. I don't know... it just seems like a good number. Want to keep up with the neighbors.
  • Compact. I would like it to be easy to slip into a pocket and carry around. Compact or Ultracompact preferably.
  • Quality images. Good low-light, good color-saturation, etc. Obviously I want good looking images.

Okay, you have 3 choices:

1. Kodak
2. Kodak or
3. Kodak

:D

Actually, the Kodaks are pretty good, even a cheap 3 Megapix one I got years ago for friends, they just showed me pics from it they got developed at the drug store and it looks great.

Try this camera:

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=10487&pq-locale=en_US

All Kodaks come with a Dock Adapter (like the iPods), so here's your dock:

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuer...ID=S35942&Visible=false&navCategory=EKN032940

Enjoy...

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
Okay, you have 3 choices:

1. Kodak
2. Kodak or
3. Kodak

:D

Actually, the Kodaks are pretty good, even a cheap 3 Megapix one I got years ago for friends, they just showed me pics from it they got developed at the drug store and it looks great.

Try this camera:

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=10487&pq-locale=en_US

All Kodaks come with a Dock Adapter (like the iPods), so here's your dock:

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuer...ID=S35942&Visible=false&navCategory=EKN032940

Enjoy...

Thanks for the links. I will definitely check those out. Casio Exilims still come with docks as well though, right? If so, I can't believe those are the only two companies. As much as I love the dock for my video cam, iPhone, and iPods, it would seem like an obvious thing to include. I guess it adds a lot of cost though, and cameras are very cost competitive I would guess.

TimTheEnchanter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
Not minding some of your wants, I highly recommend the Canon G9 as this camera can do amazing things and you'll not out-grow it. I'm a Nikon DSLR shooter, but in my pocket, this is the camera I carry. Can't recommend it enough, worth the little extra money.

edit: actually, they price-dropped this model (G10 is rumored to hit soon) and Amazon is selling it for about $450 now. Bargain hunters should be able to get it closer to $400 though.

hector

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
Cheltenham, UK
I have a Casio Exilim and it rocks. It's the perfect pocket camera. Great zoom, large screen and it does video. It also has an ebay picture mode and a youtube video mode. These modes take pictures and videos in smaller formats ready for the web.

+1 for the Casio, I had a 5mp Exilim, I think it was called a Z500 which was very compact and slimline, came with a dock, was very easy to use and took great pictures. It was fast to start up, and minimal delay on the shutter. Bought in in 2006 for about £130 so I dare say they will be better quality and cheaper now.

I loved that camera and took hundreds of pictures during 2 weeks in Israel which you can check out if you like through the link to my smugmug in my signature, however it mysteriously vanished not long after I got back. Served its purpose though, and now I have a D40 which I prob couldn't have justified if I still had the Casio!

Don't know why I just told you all that, but basically I am saying that the Casios are great P&S cameras - don't write them off just because they are a calculator company!

blackstone

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2005
Washington, DC

What about a camera that takes AA batteries? That way, they can have a set of NiMH rechargeables available, but also swap in plain old alkaline batteries if they forget to charge beforehand. As I remember, the Canon A560 and Panasonic Lumix LZ8 and LZ10 cameras all take AA batteries.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

My 'wants':

You can't get everything you want in one camera. That "dock" idea is the killer. Only the lowest end camera have this. Maybe buy a cell phone, they come with docks sometimes.

Next you ask for good low light abilty and small size. Not going to hapen. Low light ability depends on physical size. You need a large sensor and a big lens. So which do you want to give up? Low light abilty or small size? Can't have both.

Why not say how the camera will be used. what they will do with the images. (view on the web, TV or make small prints. Are large print needed? What are the subjects. Indoors or ou doors.

In the end it really does not matter. Specs are about the same all around. and yo don't need to spend $400. $250 will do well. With $400 you are just aabout able to buy an SLR. If you need low light ability and good images then an SLR is the way to go.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
Canon A series. a720 is a good choice. a590 for your parents would also work. a590 is simpler and cheaper. They use AA batteries, and if you buy eneloop batteries from Sanyo, they are rechargable, but hold a charge for a long, long, long time when not being used. The one problem with AA batteries is that the flash doesn't recycle as quickly. The nice thing about AAs is if your batteries die on vacation -- you can cheaply buy more!

Regardless, you should buy a backup battery.

Another popular camera is the TZ4. Easy to use, and has eye-catching features like super zoom. If you want something smaller than the TZ4 (which is already quite pocketable) and you don't mind a proprietary batter, or much less zoom, then the Canon SD1100 or SD870 would be good choices.

None of those have a charger base. The only ones with charger bases that I can think of are HPs and Kodaks which, IMO, are sub-par cameras.

reynodp

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
GA

My 'wants':

I have done a lot of reading and research for a good point and shoot and came up with a Canon SD870 IS. This little camera fits just about anywhere. It has a 3 inch LCD and a 3.8 wide angle lens and a fantastic zoom. The LCD screen is very sharp and can be seen very clearly in direct sunlight during the day. It takes great quality pictures and is very simple and easy to use. I took the advice of a website by KenRockwell-Photography.com. This is a great site for DSLRs as well as point and shoot. I think he has or has used just about every camera and lens on the market.

bobbleheadbob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
Massachusetts
Like a previous poster, I'm a big fan of the Canon Powershot Series. We have 3 now, including a G9 and an SD 800. The SD 850 would be a good possiblilty for your parents. It's around $230 on Amazon right now:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Optical-Stabilized/dp/B000Q30420/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1214781154&sr=8-4

The only thing the Canon's don't have is a dock. If that's a deal-breaker for you, then you really have to look at Kodak. I'm not a big fan of their digital cameras right now and can't recommend. I had one a couple years ago and hated it. It went on eBay pretty quickly.

Good luck.

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
I'm going to recommend the Canon Powershot SD790IS. It's loaded with goodies, including: Optical Image Stabilization, Face Detection, Motion Detection, the new Digic III imager, a whopping 10 megapixel sensor, beautiful 3" display, and won't break the bank at only $285. Not too bad for all this tech if you ask me :eek:

lol, it sounds like I work for canon, I promise i don't ;)

I'll go ahead and point you to a post by NC MacGuy Here, It's official site Here, and a merchant Here

oh, and did I mention it looks sexy too?
sd790is_586x225.jpg

CMD is me

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2006
The dock is going to be the hard part. Generally, it's the crappy cameras that offer a dock.

Agreed.

Low light -- Fuji F-series such as the the F40 or F50/100 (F40 is better though)

Good light -- Panasonic TZ4 or 5 or any Canon (really, any will do)

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
I have it narrowed down to the Canon Powershot SD790IS that was just posted above, and the new Casio Exilim EX-Z200 or EXZ100.

Based on my parents' desire for a dock (ease-of-use, always charged, easy to sync, no cords to keep track of, etc.) I am leaning towards the Casio. If you guys have any information on the Casio good/bad, I'd like to know. I think the Canon would be a fantastic choice as well!

casio_exilim_exz200.jpg
casio-z200.jpg

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
Well, it wouldn't be my choice, but if they are not finicky on picture quality, it will probably work fine. One note: the Z200 seems to employ a CCD-shift for IS. I'd lean towards that one, if the choice was between these two. (Canon and Panny use OIS, which I think is better, but, again, if you need the dock...)

I've never used a Casio, but one thing I would say -- menus are all over the map. Some makers have really easy menus (e.g. Canon and the newer Panasonics) some not so much (I never liked Sony or Kodak). You might want to test a Casio in-store, and make sure they are easy to adjust using the menus.

Good luck

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
Well, I'm PISSED. At myself I suppose. I was sure the camera came with a dock, but I got it today... and no dock. Apparently Casio quit including docks with their cameras a year or so ago. DAMN.

Oh well, it is a 35mm comparible camera, with high-res shots, and CCD image stabilization. It gets pretty good reviews. Guess we'll just keep it since Kodak is the only alternative, and I'm not to impressed with their compact digi cams.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.