Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArchiMark

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Would like to get input from this illustrious group regarding possible camera selection to meet my criteria...

Have 'ancient' Canon compact digital camera now, the 'S10'...still works fine, but find the output lacking...my wife always complains about a 'lack of sharpness' in the prints I make and also the colors being off a bit too.

So, considering finally getting a new camera...

Would like a camera with the following if possible:

1. Very sharp photos - assume that this also relates to depth of field issues too??? Mostly print at 4x6, with occassional larger prints. Otherwise, viewing photos on my 21" monitor....

2. Good color rendition

3. Wide angle lens (hate the typical digicam focum on ultra-zoom at the expense of wide angle...) as I like to take photos of buildings,street scenes, etc when I travel, so, for me, limited zoom is OK...

4. Compact size (if possible), around size of S10 would be nice

5. Optical Viewfinder - I always use it on my S10, LCD uses up battery too quickly - but maybe this has changed since S10....

6. Some manual controls - automatic feature is OK, but like option to overide at times...

7. Budget - somewhere between $300 - $500 I think.

There may be other issues, but the above are the most important ones I think...

One question is whether or not I can achieve the results I want in a compact digicam or does it require a DSLR?

Thanks for any and all input!

:)

jpsalvesen

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2007
How about an Olympus Evolt E-410? Sells at 450 bucks, comes with a good kit lens. It's almost the same size as some of the larger superzooms. But it's an DSLR. You'll get wide-angle and moderate tele. And excellent picture quality, of course.

Then again, I'm sure there are capable compacts out there as well. Look for one with 5 to 8 megapixels. Anything above 8 megapixels is pretty much bogus. And a bit of wide angle. However, I don't really follow the compact camera market so I don't have anything specific to recommend.

ArchiMark

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
How about an Olympus Evolt E-410? Sells at 450 bucks, comes with a good kit lens. It's almost the same size as some of the larger superzooms. But it's an DSLR. You'll get wide-angle and moderate tele. And excellent picture quality, of course.

Then again, I'm sure there are capable compacts out there as well. Look for one with 5 to 8 megapixels. Anything above 8 megapixels is pretty much bogus. And a bit of wide angle. However, I don't really follow the compact camera market so I don't have anything specific to recommend.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestion, jpsalvesen! Will look at the Evolt...

frood02

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2008
How wide do you want to go? The quality of point and shoots is rather good, though a wide-angle adapter might get in the way of the optical viewfinder.

Also, many manufacturers make entry level kits which include a standard wide-ish zoom lens (usually 27mm equivalent) Canon rebel XT ($470) or Nikon D40 ($500). An ultra wide lens would cost as much as that camera though...

ArchiMark

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
How wide do you want to go? The quality of point and shoots is rather good, though a wide-angle adapter might get in the way of the optical viewfinder.

Also, many manufacturers make entry level kits which include a standard wide-ish zoom lens (usually 27mm equivalent) Canon rebel XT ($470) or Nikon D40 ($500). An ultra wide lens would cost as much as that camera though...

Thanks for your help, frood02!

I was thinking about a 28mm equivalent zoom like as I was used to on my ol' Pentax SLR that I used to use before digital cameras....

Thanks,

Mark

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Thanks for your help, frood02!
I was thinking about a 28mm equivalent zoom like as I was used to on my ol' Pentax SLR that I used to use before digital cameras....

Do you have much Pentax gear? If you still have some good lenses then that is a reason to buy a Pentax digital SLR body.

The last time some one here asked yur question I pointed out the Leica and nearly identical Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2. The Leica version is nice but the Panasonic version fits your budget (it's discounted on Amazon.com right now) and the lens is 28mm (equivallent) also it has a native ide format sensor. It's got a Leic f/2.8 lens. Optical qality is good

ArchiMark

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Do you have much Pentax gear? If you still have some good lenses then that is a reason to buy a Pentax digital SLR body.

The last time some one here asked yur question I pointed out the Leica and nearly identical Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2. The Leica version is nice but the Panasonic version fits your budget (it's discounted on Amazon.com right now) and the lens is 28mm (equivallent) also it has a native ide format sensor. It's got a Leic f/2.8 lens. Optical qality is good

Well, I still have my 28-85 Tamron (?) lens on the Pentax, Chris....Pentax has been sitting in my closet since '98..... ;)

Only thing missing on LX2 and other Pany's is optical viewfinder.... dunno, maybe that's OK....

Thanks,

Mark

jpsalvesen

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2007
Well, I still have my 28-85 Tamron (?) lens on the Pentax,

That won't give you any wide angle on a Pentax DSLR. They are all 1.6x crop. The equivalent focal length of 28mm on a 1.6x is 44.8mm. The lens will fit and it will provide you with moderate telephoto. But no wide angle. Pentax makes good DSLRs, though. The K200D looks very promising.

ArchiMark

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
That won't give you any wide angle on a Pentax DSLR. They are all 1.6x crop. The equivalent focal length of 28mm on a 1.6x is 44.8mm. The lens will fit and it will provide you with moderate telephoto. But no wide angle. Pentax makes good DSLRs, though. The K200D looks very promising.

Thanks, for the explanation, jpsalvesen....

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Don't forget to look at the Ricoh Caplio GX100 (24mm, optional EVF, optional 19mm add-on) and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX35 (25mm).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.