Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philgr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2005
Lakes - UK
Going on holiday soon and although im planning on taking my SLR with me, i really think it would be useful to have a compact Digi camera

what is the compact of choice at the moment budget is approx £200

Thanks in advance

Phil G

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I really enjoy my Olympus µ 600, 6MP, sturdy, large LCD, excellent battery life, nice macro, weatherproof, actually focuses in low light and gives me lots and lots of nice pictures... and it should cost you under £200 even with a couple of decent sized xD card (I get about 350 images of the best quality on a 1GB card) and an extra battery.

I still use it a lot, even if I've later gotten myself an E-400, and when and if I'm going on holiday, it's the µ I'm going to take with me... :)

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Leica D-Lux3.

Pricey, but a very good camera except for low-light situations.

It does wide format and has a great wide angle zoom. Great piece of glass makes all the difference, and this camera has the best piece of glass that I could find on a P&S. Honestly, it outshines my Canon 10D in many situations.

If it is outside of your budget, check out the Panasonic Lumix DX2, the same camera and lens except for the firmware and provided software.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I have a samsung s730 or whatever. It's my purse/party camera. I don't use a point and shoot otherwise. That said, I would second the Lecia but that is out of most people's range so hit the Panasonic Lumix DX2.

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
Some suggestions:
  • Panasonic DMC-LX3: I've owned this for a couple of days. I like that it has Leica lens and Optical Image Stabilization.
  • Casio Exilim: I really like the size of the Exilim EX-Z60BK
  • Canon Digital Elph SD600/SD700IS: The 700IS has image stabilization as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.