Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi,

I thought i had posted a msg about this yesterday, but i can't find it so i guess i didn't... doh!

i bought my 1st dslr..pentax k100 with 2 lense kit.

I saw a 'magic lantern book' about my camera, but wondered if it's more than a glorified manual? does anyone know if this series of books is any good?

Also, it was recommended that i buy any photo books by John Hedgecoe?

i'm looking for 2 things: 1. how to better understand my camera of course and 2. how to take better photos so i need a basic understanding and then take it to the next levels. purely a hobbyist, but i've always taken creative photos so i want to enhance what i've been doing.

Cheers,
Keebler

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
In a similar thread somebody recommended _Understanding Exposure_ by Bryan Peterson.

After getting it our of the library, I'll definitely second the recommendation -- excellent for a beginner (or even intermediate) to take a step forward.

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Understanding Exposure is great.

I also dig the National Geographic Photography Field Photography Guide. Covers exposure in a nutshell, but has a lot of great composition tips and examples.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
For Good, Applied understanding of Photography, I like John Shaw's books. I have his Landscape and Nature books.

You will probably find that some of the hardware specifics in the first chapter is a bit dated ... its hard for it to NOT be, these days ... but simply keep in mind that he's explaining fundemental principles - - things like "What exactly is 18% Gray?".

This intro chapter is pretty much the same in the two books I own, so I suspect that he might use it as a general intro to all of his books - - but thus said, if I were contemplating buying a 3rd one of his books, I'd not mind it because the "Applied" part in back is worth the admission price.

John Shaw's Website
Do take a look through his galleries.

-hh

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
thanks everyone! truly appreciate the suggestions.

i'm going on vacation soon and will be getting a few books to leaf through.

cheers,
keebler

Nanpd

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2006
Photography (9th Edition)
by Barbara London (Author), Jim Stone (Author), John Upton (Author)

It's a classic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.