Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stormer13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Hi all,

I was really hoping for an iMac update today, but it was not to be. That said, what do you all think would be a good option for light (maybe occasionally mid) video editing? (the iMac pro is unfortunately out of my range) would the current iMac still be option? or should definitely I lean towards the Macbook Pro? (or perhaps even the i7 mini?)

Thanks for your help!

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Anything will work for "light" video editing. An i7 will be noticeably faster than an otherwise identical i5 for this task (no difference on many others). Likewise, a Fusion drive will be slower on large files than an SSD but you are unlikely to notice any difference on small files.

Other than that, what do you want? If a portable, get a MBP. If a desktop, the current iMacs are great. There's an i7 2T SSD 16G for $3,479 in the Refurb Store. If you need more RAM (a decision you can make later) 32G is $319 at OWC and there's better pricing if you shop around.

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac/27

I doubt that the new Mini tricked out to similar specs with a 5K monitor will be as inexpensive.

I just checked. The new Mini tricked out to identical specs is $2,899 but a 5K monitor runs $1,299 = $4,189. If you use a number of plugins, the 6-core may give the Mini an advantage but 16G will not be enough RAM.

Last edited:

Grohowiak

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2012
New mini has a real crap GPU. Make sure you do your research before you buy it cause you will most likely need a eGPU if you want to make a it a "pro" machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.