Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mangucha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2017
Hello, could anybody recommend me which brand/model would be ideal to run latest mac os? I'm not looking for anything more than 500GB max... Thank you!

afallnstar

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
Seattle
I second the Samsung T3 drive, alternatively, I've also had good luck with the G-Technology G-Drive slim SSD

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
I like the Samsung 850 PRO in its own enclosure, as I personally prefer MLC NAND over TLC. I also really like the Transcend 370, as it's an MLC drive priced competitively with some TLC drives.

mangucha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2017
So just to understand, you're recommending the T3 and the 850pro to *use them as startup disk* running mac OS 10.10+ right? I'm assuming you have experience using them like so...
Since I read the driver from Samsung and it's login with password are a nuisance that's why I need to make sure... ^_^

Thank you very much!

Last edited:

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Yes, I keep bootable versions of OS X, as well as Windows, Mac, and Linux virtual machines on my 850 Pros. I like the 850 Pro because it is arguably a golden standard of the consumer SATA SSD on the market, between performance, reliability, longevity (at least several petabytes of writes), user reviews, and a 10 year warranty. If you are using a Mac that has USB 3.0 (instead of USB 3.1 gen2), it is worth noting that the drive will usually saturate the available bandwidth, especially if you are using other USB 3 devices, and you may need to use ThunderBolt to fully capitalize on the max read/write speeds.

I do not have first hand experience with the T3.

Reactions: mangucha

mangucha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2017
Yes, I keep bootable versions of OS X, as well as Windows, Mac, and Linux virtual machines on my 850 Pros. I like the 850 Pro because it is arguably a golden standard of the consumer SATA SSD on the market, between performance, reliability, longevity (at least several petabytes of writes), user reviews, and a 10 year warranty. If you are using a Mac that has USB 3.0 (instead of USB 3.1 gen2), it is worth noting that the drive will usually saturate the available bandwidth, especially if you are using other USB 3 devices, and you may need to use ThunderBolt to fully capitalize on the max read/write speeds.

I do not have first hand experience with the T3.
ok great. thanks a lot and i'll check it out.

i still wonder about the T3...

cheers!

mangucha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2017
Thanks for your answer. Just to clarify, you've had experience using the Samsung T3 as a startup disk running Mac OS 10.10+ right? I read that there were issues with the driver/password software from Samsung on the T1 but I haven't found anything regarding the T3, that's why I need to make sure :)

Cheers!

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Thanks for your answer. Just to clarify, you've had experience using the Samsung T3 as a startup disk running Mac OS 10.10+ right? I read that there were issues with the driver/password software from Samsung on the T1 but I haven't found anything regarding the T3, that's why I need to make sure :)
Cheers!
Yes, it works fine.
See this thread were other forum members were able to boot their Mac using the T3:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...allation-on-samsung-t3.2034550/#post-24352192

Reactions: mangucha

mangucha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2017
I second the Samsung T3 drive, alternatively, I've also had good luck with the G-Technology G-Drive slim SSD
Great, so you didn't have problems with Samsung's driver or login password when installing and running Mac OS on it?
Thanks! :)
[doublepost=1488303681][/doublepost]
Yes, it works fine.
See this thread were other forum members were able to boot their Mac using the T3:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...allation-on-samsung-t3.2034550/#post-24352192
Excellent, that was exactly what I was looking for! I had made a search on the forums before posting but didn't find it... Thanks a lot again ^_^

Reactions: CoastalOR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.