Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

winterymix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
West Virginia
Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to OSX and I'm looking for advice on the best application for light photo editing. I'm an amateur photographer with a Canon Digital Rebel XT, and I want a fair amount of photo enhancing, correcting, etc. options, but nothing overwhelming/professional, but not something overly simple either.

Is there an app that kind of fits in the middle between professional and novice?

Thanks!

sl1200mk2

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2006
I would probably use a mixture of iPhoto and Photoshop Elements. That will pretty much cover all your bases until you're ready to jump from there. Aperture or Light Room and the full version of Photoshop CS4 are the next steps.

Personally, I use Aperture and Photoshop CS4. It's WAY more than I need, but I like nice toys. I used Light Room on the PC, but when I made the switch to Mac last year I went with Aperture after trying the demo. I just love the work flow and layout. I can't wait to see if it gets updated sometime this year and what Apple might do to improve it. I also used DXO on the PC, but I haven't cross graded or upgraded to the latest version (haven't felt the need to) and depending on needs it's a very nice app too.

Good luck -

Wayne

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
I'm just going to throw out a suggestion for GIMP. I do very light editing (the most editing for one photo that I've done lasted around an hour and was mostly cloning). It's free, open-source and it fits what I need it to do. I'd suggest trying it before you buy any software. Who knows? You might save a few bucks :)

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I have used both the GIMP and Photoshop Elements. For me, the interface in Photoshop Elements and the tools available are much more robust than the GIMP, but of course the GIMP is free.

Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to OSX and I'm looking for advice on the best application for light photo editing. I'm an amateur photographer with a Canon Digital Rebel XT, and I want a fair amount of photo enhancing, correcting, etc. options, but nothing overwhelming/professional, but not something overly simple either.

Is there an app that kind of fits in the middle between professional and novice?

Thanks!

Photoshop is the only photo editing software you will ever need. If your just an amateur then go with PS Elements. You can always upgrade whenever you feel like tackling the full professional app. You can actually find PS elements packed in for free with alot of different printers and scanners these days so if your in the market for one of those it might be better to save the money you would have spent on buying the app and putting it towards the hardware and thus get it for free. I actually think I just got a copy with my recent Epson V-750 Pro Flatbed purchase. You will just have to research what hardware is currently packing in a free copy which shouldn't be hard.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I would start with Aperture or Lightroom. If your editing needs are light (essentially, if you don't need to use any layers), then they might suffice. You can download free 30-day trials for both.
If you need more, have a look at Pixelmator or Photoshop Elements. They integrate just fine with Aperture and Lightroom.

winterymix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
West Virginia
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I think I'm going to give Photoshop Elements a try. Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.