Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidcafor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
Spain
Hi guys!

I'm waiting for my new M1 Mac Mini and I'm strugling with the last shoppings. I've a 1Tb Samsung Internal SSD in my windows PC and I'm looking for an external SSD case with USB-C to use it with the Mac Mini and the iPad Pro as my main photography disk.

Do you recommend any resistant case like the sandisk extreme ssd? or some cheap and worthwhile case?

Thanks so much

justashooter

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2020
If this is a 2.5 inch SATA SSD there are two enclosures that I like.
This one is a plastic case, durable, no tools, easy to install the 2.5 inch ssd, and what I like is it has a full size USB connector on the case, it does not accidentally get unplugged. You would have to get a USB-C to USB-A cord for it. $10 in the US:

There is also the Satechi 2.5 inch case that has USB-C. It is more expensive at $30 US. This is a metal external enclosure, plastic tray that holds the drive:

Since a 2.5 inch SATA SSD maxes out at about 550mb/s there will not be much speed difference between the two.

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
You will want an enclosure with a chipset supporting 10 Gbps USB to fully max out the SSD you have...the older 5 Gbps USB chipsets will not. Many of the enclosures on the market are...probably at this point in time, most of them might even be. Some may label this as USB 3.1 gen 2, some as USB 3.2 gen 2, or some as USB 10 Gbps...they are all the same thing, provided they support the 10 Gbps protocol.

Case-wise, it's really your call. SATA SSDs don't get extremely hot and aren't prone to shock damage. Any and all of the 10 Gbps chipsets will fully saturate that SSD as well. That said, I do like these enclosures. They are good quality, all aluminum, reliable, and have the ability to use AC power (which for a SSD is a moot point but nice to have if using it with a HDD).

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The Sabrent case in reply 2 should do the job (I have at least one of them).

If you want to go "higher end", then consider the Oyen Digital "Mini Pro":

Reactions: davidcafor

davidcafor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
Spain
Thanks all for the replies.

I should go with the Sabrent. The SSD is this: Samsung MZ-76E1T0B/EU 860 EVO, and it's limited to 550mb/s:
I want a small case because I want to use it with the iPad Pro and the MacMini ... if it folds in my pocket will be a must.

Edit:

The Sabrent one has a USB to USB cable. I suppose I could but a USB to USB-C or Thunderbolt to use it with the M1 Mac Mini, isn't it? I don't want to occupy the USB-A

Last edited:

justashooter

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2020
If you want to use the USB-C ports on the mini you will need a USB-C to USB-A cable (or adapter but I would get the cable) to connect the Sabrent.

Reactions: davidcafor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.