Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ljckennedy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
Does anyone have any recommendations for usb webcams that work reliably with Monterey? Since upgrading my Logitech C525 only works if plugged directly into a usb-c port on my mac and then not every time. Before upgrading it worked fine through the usb hub built into my usb-c monitor.

Logitech's standard response on their website seems to be they only support OS versions available when the camera was released which is crazy.

Thanks.

ljckennedy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
You are right in that it is far worse in the USB hub, but occasionally it does not work plugged directly into the USB-C plug on the mac.

Cyberguard

macrumors member
May 21, 2008
Same here. My Logitech C615 worked perfectly through USB Hub on my previous MBP with Big Sur. Since upgrading the MBP (and consequently moving to Monterey), I have a hard time with the hub :
  • Ethernet and HDMI connexion work fine
  • Webcam is a no go unless I restart the computer WITH the dock connected
  • It used to deliver power to my previous macbook, but the new ones require more power, I thought I could still use my one cable set up and it would just not power the laptop, but it tries to and just keeps charging on and off unless I use the MBP's charger... I'll have to upgrade it at some point.
I'm looking into buying a simple usb-a to usb-c adapter and test it out.

Reactions: Roadster Lewis

ljckennedy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
I have ended up using my camera with a usb-a to c adaptor. It's still flakey.
  • It works in zoom 99% of the time.
  • It only works in MS Teams if it is plugged in when I boot up.
  • never works through a hub

Cyberguard

macrumors member
May 21, 2008
I have ended up using my camera with a usb-a to c adaptor. It's still flakey.
  • It works in zoom 99% of the time.
  • It only works in MS Teams if it is plugged in when I boot up.
  • never works through a hub
That sucks since Teams is my primary work tool...
I've read several threads complaining about the hubs's issues. And mine is a USB-C hub (Plugable UD-CAM), not a Thunderbolt one.

UPDATE : I've tested the C615 with a simple USB adapter (no dock) and a different camera, no luck. Apple maintains that "engineers are looking into it".

Last edited:

Ranger080

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2021
I've tried to restart my mac with the webcam connected to the hub.

After restart the webcam works fine.

I am using the Logitech C525 with an Aukey hub.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.