Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tesla_nc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2018
Hi, I'm an iPhone XS user that has been looking for a great wireless charger for a little while now. I've looked at the guide on this website as well as other guides around the internet but I'm still not sure. I'm not really looking for the fastest wireless charger as this would be a bedside charger. I'm concerned about heat and long term usage on the phones battery. I saw that some wireless chargers had fans and I was wondering if that was really necessary. For example, Anker sells a wireless stand that has a fan if you buy it with a bundled AC adapter, but if you buy it separately, it does not come with a built-in fan. If I got a 5 watt instead of a 7.5 w adapter, Im wondering if heat could still be an issue as I've heard of stories of certain wireless chargers that made the phone quite hot when it got close to 100%. Anyways, I appreciate all suggestions and recommendations by you all because you guys usually seem on the up and up.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
[QUOTE="Tesla_nc, post: 27545291, member: 1139162. If I got a 5 watt instead of a 7.5 w adapter, Im wondering if heat could still be an issue as I've heard of stories of certain wireless chargers that made the phone quite hot when it got close to 100%. [/QUOTE]

I have the Anker power wave 7.5 watt with a fan. But the fan is inaudible. Have had no issues with heating when using with iPhone 8. Quite happy with it.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I have the same Anker and it's fantastic. Some reviews online complain about the fan being loud, but that's completely blown out of proportion. They must either have had a faulty unit, or have the hearing capabilities of a dog.

A fan is great for keeping the battery cool while charging, therefore helping to limit battery wear.

Tesla_nc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2018
Alright I appreciate your input. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the 7.5 watt Anker PowerWave with fam that you have can only be bought with adapter and cable for $55 on Amazon? Could not find it separately without adapter for cheaper. They have a 7.5 watt (no fan) that is like $30 or something without an ac adapter. Fan would be ideal if overheating is an issue with no fan.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Alright I appreciate your input. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the 7.5 watt Anker PowerWave with fam that you have can only be bought with adapter and cable for $55 on Amazon? Could not find it separately without adapter for cheaper. They have a 7.5 watt (no fan) that is like $30 or something without an ac adapter. Fan would be ideal if overheating is an issue with no fan.

Yeah, it comes with the adaptor to ensure you get the fast charging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.