Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLearnMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Hi All

Trust you all are well and safe.

I want to record Mac screen along with internal audio + use my headset with mic for commenting. The native macOS app - Screenshot records the screen, but will not include the audio.

1) If it can be done using the native app - please inform me the settings / procedures.
2) If we need external app, please recommend by your experiences (prefer opensource / freeware)
3) If no alternative - go commercial with One Time License. (want to avoid subscription model)

Thanks and Best Regards,

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I want to record Mac screen along with internal audio + use my headset with mic for commenting. The native macOS app - Screenshot records the screen, but will not include the audio
Screenshot is not a good tool for this. Fire up QuickTime Player which is already installed on your Mac. Select New Screen Recording from the File menu. When the toolbar pops up, it gives you three options (on the left) to take static screenshots, and two options (in the middle) to make a video recording of the screen: one for the entire screen, and one for a portion of the screen you crop in on.

Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 10.23.40 AM.png

Hit "Options" to set what audio you want included. I'm not certain it will record the internal audio and your headset audio at the same time. Audio Hijack might be able to help with that part, as it can handle complex routing of audio between apps. Could be a little work to set up!

If you want an all-in-one solution that also gives you some very good post-recording editing options as well, I would recommend Screenflow. Not cheap, but definitely very good software. I used it a lot in a previous job to record webinars and it was super solid and great to work with. It's an up-front purchase and not a software rental (sorry, "subscription").

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.