Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I am trying to help a friend of mine recover pictures from her SD card. She had downloaded them to a computer, then another person thought she wanted them deleted and so she did so. Pics are gone from computer and SD card. I have tried on a PC several of the free programs online to recover the pics and no luck. Is there something else I can try or a better program that is available for Macs?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Convar SmartRecovery works well on memory cards in Windows, give that a try.

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
Convar SmartRecovery works well on memory cards in Windows, give that a try.

Agreed, hands down it is the best program ( paid or free) that I have ever used to recover deleted images

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/smartrecovery.html

The problem with flash media is that it is written in order, so if you delete picture one and then take a picture, your first picture will PERMANENTLY BE DELETED !!!!

Your only hope of recovery in flash media is that you try to recover the files immediately after deleting ( or if you took only 20 pictures, and wanted to recover picture 40)

Good luck

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
computer won't recognize SD card

No pictures have been taken with the SD card since the pics were deleted. I just don't know why my computer won't recognize the SD card, either in an SD reader attached through the USB or through my SD reader that is built into the computer.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
No pictures have been taken with the SD card since the pics were deleted. I just don't know why my computer won't recognize the SD card, either in an SD reader attached through the USB or through my SD reader that is built into the computer.

Is it a large card? Connect it through the camera.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
The best recovery tool I have used on a mac is PhotoRec. (Freeware)

However I found that using a combination of tools rendered the most recoverable files. Depends on how valuable to you the pictures actually are.

Exif Untrasher - freeware
Klix $30, managed to recover 2 pictures that the other two didn't but also failed to recover ~50 that PhotoRec didn't.

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Its a 4GB card

I am trying now to connect it through the camera. I hope this works!:)

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
computer doesn't pick up camera or card reader

I have tried using the camera and a SanDisk Imagemate Card Reader. Neither will show up on my computer anywhere. I did open iPhoto when I had the camera attached and it just said "no photos" were available. I need help!

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
I have tried using the camera and a SanDisk Imagemate Card Reader. Neither will show up on my computer anywhere. I did open iPhoto when I had the camera attached and it just said "no photos" were available. I need help!

OK, now you are being DENSE, we keep offering you advice but you seem to not want to listen

First off it seems like you may need a windows PC ( its freeware but its windows only)

Plug your camera (with the card) into a pc using the supplied USB cable, make sure the computer sees the Memory card ( if it doesn't then the card is dead, and you are screwed)

1) Go here http://www.snapfiles.com/get/smartrecovery.html

2) download and install the program

3) Select the drive letter associated with your SD card

4) Select folder to back up pictures

5) Run program

6) Come back here and thank everyone who has been trying to give you advice ( seriously how many times do we have to repeat it )

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Things aren't always as they appear

OK YOU DUNCE, we keep offering you advice but you seem to not want to listen

If it's a bother to you to reply, then don't. I am not a "dunce". I have downloaded about 6 different programs, some of which are suggested here, some of which are not. I have installed them and tried to run them. No matter if I use the camera with the SD card in it or a card reader, neither the camera nor the card reader or card will mount or show up anywhere in any of the programs. That is what I am trying to say. I have listened and done what has been suggested. If in someway I have been offensive to you then you shouldn't bother replying. People come here to these boards to try and get answers that they weren't able to get on their own. Some of us aren't as computer savy as others but that doesn't mean we are "dunces".

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Here's what I've done

Most of the programs listed below were tried on a PC before I even tried to use my Mac, then the few that were listed for Macs I tried as well.
Memory Card Data Recovery
Data Doctor Recovery Memory Card (Demo)
PC Inspector Smart Recovery
Undelete Plus
Stellar Photo Recovery
Exif Untrasher
Convar Smart Recovery

All of these programs were downloaded and installed. After installing, they were opened and tried to run on the SD card, either through an SD card reader, which is built into my PC, the SanDisk ImageMate Card Reader, or through my camera. NONE of these show up on any of the programs that are installed. That is the issue that I am having. How do I recover files when I cannot find the SD card in any of the ways that I've tried?

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
Most of the programs listed below were tried on a PC before I even tried to use my Mac, then the few that were listed for Macs I tried as well.
Memory Card Data Recovery
Data Doctor Recovery Memory Card (Demo)
PC Inspector Smart Recovery
Undelete Plus
Stellar Photo Recovery
Exif Untrasher
Convar Smart Recovery

All of these programs were downloaded and installed. After installing, they were opened and tried to run on the SD card, either through an SD card reader, which is built into my PC, the SanDisk ImageMate Card Reader, or through my camera. NONE of these show up on any of the programs that are installed. That is the issue that I am having. How do I recover files when I cannot find the SD card in any of the ways that I've tried?

fair enough i retract my comment

but it sounds like you might be screwed

try to reformat the card, and see if it mounts

If you cannot detect the card, then there is really nothing we can help you with ( it needs to be able to find the card first)

good luck !

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
What if I did this?

I've been thinking that maybe it isn't visible since there's nothing on it, pics were deleted. If I took 1 picture, I know it would overwrite probably at least one pic on the card but then maybe the card would at least show up and then I could try to recover the rest. If I reformat the card, won't I lose everything on there by doing that?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
In OS X, does the card show up in Disk Utility?

Have you successfully used THIS card in THIS reader on THIS computer before?

I've been thinking that maybe it isn't visible since there's nothing on it, pics were deleted. If I took 1 picture, I know it would overwrite probably at least one pic on the card but then maybe the card would at least show up and then I could try to recover the rest. If I reformat the card, won't I lose everything on there by doing that?

It would still show up with nothing on it.

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Doesn't show up in Disk Utility

The card is actually from a friend's camera. It has not been used in any of my computers or readers before. I tried using her computer with her camera yesterday along with Stellar Photo Recovery and the SD card didn't show up there either. So, I brought it home with me to see if I could work on it here and try to get the pics recovered. The card has only been written on once through the camera. I'm not sure how many pictures she actually had on there already.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
The card is actually from a friend's camera. It has not been used in any of my computers or readers before. I tried using her computer with her camera yesterday along with Stellar Photo Recovery and the SD card didn't show up there either. So, I brought it home with me to see if I could work on it here and try to get the pics recovered. The card has only been written on once through the camera. I'm not sure how many pictures she actually had on there already.

If it doesn't even show up on her computer anymore, then the card is probably fried - meaning no files can be recovered.

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Oh great....

I guess I have nothing to lose (or rather she has nothing to lose) by me trying to take 1 pic on my camera and then seeing if I can recover anything from it?

I will post back and let everyone know what happens.

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
No option worked

I tried formatting the card and then scanned it. It shows nothing available. I hate it for her.....it was a brand new camera she got for Christmas and all of her photos were on there. I was able to pull up 244 jpg images but when I tried to open them, it says there's nothing there.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
I tried formatting the card and then scanned it. It shows nothing available. I hate it for her.....it was a brand new camera she got for Christmas and all of her photos were on there. I was able to pull up 244 jpg images but when I tried to open them, it says there's nothing there.

Err formatting the card was the last thing you wanted to do...

How did you format it anyway? In the camera? Regardless you are beyond recovery now.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Kind of makes one long for the old days of film....;) My gf isn't much of a photographer, but has had her moments of documenting things that meant the world to her. Some years ago I gave her a little Konica p&s (35mm) and it's served her well since then, and the negatives are always put away. I gave her a little Sony digicam this Christmas, and I'm hoping that the digital files don't wind up going astray for her. She doesn't deal with technical things too well, she's just not interested, and somewhere along the way (memorystick, card reader, photo editing software, archival storage, hard drives, Windows laptop, proprietary battery, digital photo terminology (mpixels, white balance, etc,) video, getting prints... all that stuff is now different, and despite how easy it all can be, it can also trip up someone who just isn't into it, other than taking pictures. Can we say the words, "technical consultant required...?" ;)

Anyway, it definitely sounds like the SD card you're trying to salvage files off of is kaput. It's basically impossible to rescue anything off a drive you can't even see, at least at this level of expertise. Sorry 'bout that, but you'll have to break it to her gently, and then suggest perhaps 2GB SD cards, or even 1 GB cards so she won't have the temptation to load every image ever made on one card. Suggest (gently) that she download to her computer after each shooting session, and backup all her photos at least once a week to a different medium/hard drive. All basic stuff, but perhaps much more apparent now after going through this...

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
Err formatting the card was the last thing you wanted to do...

How did you format it anyway? In the camera? Regardless you are beyond recovery now.

umm he really didn't have any options, it sounded like the card was screwed from the get go

it says you found 244 pictures, these may be fragments

try using the program I've recommended, it will not recover fragments, only complete pictures.

Qianlong

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2004
I think reformating a card won't destroy or overwrite all your pics or data, it just deletes your FAT info.

Normally your pics should still be on the card, if you didn't took any pics to overwrite the older files.

it's strange the card won't even show up as a removable media drive on your computers...

did you switched off the write protect notch/ tab on the card????

You could try this program http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/
it was recomended by Ron Brinkmann, one of the presenters on the TWIP podcast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.