Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

potato1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
Fo those that followed my first thread about the RED DSLR that was coming RED has just released the specs and pictures today. Pretty amazing stuff inlcuding a 6x17 format back at 261 mp! Anyways took some stills of the main bits of the RED brochure which I thought were pretty interesting:

Camera line up:
http://www.timaustinimages.com/p1072951496/h83b8026#h83b8026
http://www.timaustinimages.com/p1072951496/h83b8026#h64cee22

RED 617
http://www.timaustinimages.com/p1072951496/h83b8026#hd69dc3e

System Specs
http://www.timaustinimages.com/p1072951496/h157c58d#h157c58d

Relative Sensor sizes
http://www.timaustinimages.com/p1072951496/h83b8026#h1c8debe8

Some more info:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/13/more-red-scarlet-and-epic-pics-sure-to-induce-drool/

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
It's a Transformer!

Seriously, I can't wait until someone who actually knows what they're talking about reviews this thing, because I don't understand most of it. I can't grasp what the impact on the market might be, but I have a feeling it could be important.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Eh... the cheapest full frame sensor offered here is $12,000, compared to Canon's $2,000 5D. It looks cool, but I'm not convinced the extra features are worth the extra $10,000.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I just looked at the lineup at the RED site. Totally insane. Un-freaking-believable. Absolutely gorgeous. Frighteningly Eexpensive.

Oh… By the way. 3D. :eek:

I really need to win the lottery. :D

"expensive?" Not for this kind of gear. Most people are blown away at the low prices.

Look at the bigger picture. I'll watch a crew shoot a commercial on location and look at the equipment they use. The camera is NOT the most expansive part, not even close. Just look at the sound proofed, truck mounted diesel generator. That set-up is worth a pile of cameras. Even the white food catering truck costs more. As if that wasn't enough they cut the whole side and 1/3rd of the roof of a new car so they could get the interior shots they wanted. A $50K camera is cheap enough that I'll notice they have cases of them in the truck, at least a half dozen.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Eh... the cheapest full frame sensor offered here is $12,000, compared to Canon's $2,000 5D. It looks cool, but I'm not convinced the extra features are worth the extra $10,000.
If you are shooting video it is. If you are shooting only stills probably not so much. And the $12k RED is body only. Viewfinder, handle, storage, batteries, etc.,. are all sold separate. I'd assume a professional, shoot-ready camera will be closer to $20k on the low end. And that is still very, very low cost of entry for what you get in video/motion picture terms.

Here is a more comprehensive link, Red.com.

Lethal

JNB

macrumors 604
"expensive?" Not for this kind of gear. Most people are blown away at the low prices.

Look at the bigger picture. I'll watch a crew shoot a commercial on location and look at the equipment they use. The camera is NOT the most expansive part, not even close. Just look at the sound proofed, truck mounted diesel generator. That set-up is worth a pile of cameras. Even the white food catering truck costs more. As if that wasn't enough they cut the whole side and 1/3rd of the roof of a new car so they could get the interior shots they wanted. A $50K camera is cheap enough that I'll notice they have cases of them in the truck, at least a half dozen.

Oh, from a commercial standpoint I agree completely; in fact, it's almost too inexpensive for that crowd ("how can anything that inexpensive be any good?").

I think the RED gear is absolutely fantastic, and just wish there was a way to afford (and justify) it on an individual basis. It is definitely a gearhead's wet dream, to be sure. :D

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Hasselblad is $h!ting their pants.

The fact that it's interchangeable video/still/film/ENG/ EVERY-F**king-thing makes my mouth water.

The price is nothing, especially when looking at the 2/3" sensor for $2500 and the ability to do BOTH video and stills with just a swapping of parts.

The $7000 Scarlet with the Nikon mount would make me skip on the D3/D700 options since I have to do both video and stills for many of my jobs.

Dang! Gotta redo my shopping list YET AGAIN!

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
Hasselblad is $h!ting their pants.

The fact that it's interchangeable video/still/film/ENG/ EVERY-F**king-thing makes my mouth water.

The price is nothing, especially when looking at the 2/3" sensor for $2500 and the ability to do BOTH video and stills with just a swapping of parts.

The $7000 Scarlet with the Nikon mount would make me skip on the D3/D700 options since I have to do both video and stills for many of my jobs.

Dang! Gotta redo my shopping list YET AGAIN!
You gotta remember though that the listed $7000 price tag is only for the "brain" unit itself that houses the sensor. By the time you add on the memory unit, a monitoring module either the EFV or a LCD, the lens adapter, the control unit, battery pack, and the frame to hold it all together you could be looking at upwards of $12,000

And that only gets you a crop sensor, the full frame "brain" starts at $12,000

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
You gotta remember though that the listed $7000 price tag is only for the "brain" unit itself that houses the sensor. By the time you add on the memory unit, a monitoring module either the EFV or a LCD, the lens adapter, the control unit, battery pack, and the frame to hold it all together you could be looking at upwards of $12,000

And that only gets you a crop sensor, the full frame "brain" starts at $12,000

Yeah, I know.

But when you consider the price for the D3 ($4700) and the Panasonic HVX ($6000) which also don't include much in the line of accessories, the cropped sensor (which still has more resolution than both the D3 and HVX) is a better bargain.

And while the D3 is top notch, the HVX isn't. Once you look into DVCPRO 50/25 P2 camcorders (with cropped 2/3rds sensors) on the pro level the price jumps to 19,500 for the AJ-SPX800. It's those bodies that ENG freelancers grab which many can't afford and just go with the HVX, but don't get jobs that the other get since their gear won't be able to take the abuse.

Not to mention those ENG bodies, not including the HVX, don't come with HD lenses or those expensive @$$ P2 cards either. And I don't even want to start looking into XDCAM and all of Sony's Apple like proprietary muck.

p.s. The only downside I see to the RED model is the strength and size of their bodies. Not to mention the UBER customization may be a downfall. I wouldn't want to be in a tight shooting situation with a fat @$$ RED mysterium body that just wreaks of HUGE COST AND EXPENSIVE PARTS. And I have dropped many a pro body from the F5 to the D2xs, I don't know if the REDs could take that kind of pro abuse.

Not to mention fitting those things with Porta Brace gear and just stuffing them in a bag when needed. Some things to think about in the next few years.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I wonder what Hasselblad is thinking right now.

Our system is 100 times more "ergonomic". We have better lenses. we have the ability to actually build our systems in large quantities. Our company name has a reputation. We have service centers in place world wide,..... Many people have already bought into our system. Our glass is better then Nikon's or Canon's,...... Our systems are actually cheaper when you compare apples to apples,......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.