Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

composer66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
Just started using my new Mac. I find that the red-eye in iphoto does not work so well. It often goes beyond the borders of the eye, or does not fix completely. Only part of the eye. Is there a better way of doing this.

I downloaded seashore, but I can't find a red-eye remover in it. I don't want to have to repaint eyes etc... Hope I'm explaining myself well. Thanks

[Mod note: Threads merged. One thread per topic, please!]

CEAbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
The Kitchen
Seashore is free. Good atl. to photoshop. Also, if you can, move y ou flash farther away from your lense. Or turn off the flash altogether.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Just started using my new Mac. I find that the red-eye in iphoto does not work so well. It often goes beyond the borders of the eye, or does not fix completely. Only part of the eye. Is there a better way of doing this. Thanks
If you find that the red-eye reduction in iPhoto goes beyond the eye try zooming in on the picture. I guess it helps 'aim' the cursor better to only capture the area you need.

Also somewhere in these forums there was a tip on a hidden feature in iPhoto that allowed you to change the style of cursor (which may help too) can anybody remember how that's done?

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
If you find that the red-eye reduction in iPhoto goes beyond the eye try zooming in on the picture. I guess it helps 'aim' the cursor better to only capture the area you need.

Also somewhere in these forums there was a tip on a hidden feature in iPhoto that allowed you to change the style of cursor (which may help too) can anybody remember how that's done?

hmm never heard of that, sounds cool, anyone want to post some info about it?

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Found it!

Not that there's been much action on this thread, but I was able to find the solutions in this pdf. Below is a quote of the pdf with the instructions on the changing cursor for the red-eye and retouch tools. Enjoy! :)

After selecting the ‘Red-Eye’ tool, type Control-Capslock-9, nothing appears to happen. But by pressing
the tab key your cursor will change to a ‘resizable’ Red-Eye tool. Use the [ and ] keys to decrease and
increase the ‘fix’ areas. Click when ready.

After selecting the ‘Retouch’ tool, type Control-Capslock-9, nothing appears to happen. But by pressing
the tab key your cursor will change to a ‘resizable’ touch-tool. Use the [ and ] keys to decrease and
increase the ‘fix’ areas. This tool really works well at removing spots on people’s faces!! Click when
ready. Shift-[ and shift-] decreases and increases the strength of the tool. Pressing tab again, changes the
retouch capability to a lighten tool.and increase the lighten area.

composer66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
Thanks very much!!! But I must be stupid, or just a newbie. It does not work. I know this is simple but

1) where is the control key, is it the one that says ctrl with a ship's wheel?
2) Do i hold all 3 keys at the same time ctrl-capslock-9 ?
3) It's true that nothing happens
4) The tab key is above the capslock right? Do i hold it down?
5) Does the cursor actually change size? And how do I kow if the fix area is changing?
6) To get the square bracket I hold the alt key and press 9 and 0 right?

I'm french canadian and so is my keyboard, but my MBP is english. I feel really stupid, but I'm trying and really appreciate the help.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
This works only in the edit window with the redeye fuction activated... in other words you see the picture you want to eliminate the redeye from and you see a cursor icon that looks like a plus symbol + .

1) where is the control key, is it the one that says ctrl with a ship's wheel?
The short answer is yes, the control key is abbreviated to ctrl
2) Do i hold all 3 keys at the same time ctrl-capslock-9 ?
Yes, depress all 3 at the same time.
3) It's true that nothing happens
Yes nothing happens without further input. (I'll admit this is fairly strange)
4) The tab key is above the capslock right? Do i hold it down?
You don't have to hold the tab key down, depressing it once after you do the ctrl-capslock-9 combo should change the cursor from the plus sign, to a grey semi-transparent oval with tick marks at its four corners.
5) Does the cursor actually change size? And how do I kow if the fix area is changing?
With using the square bracket keys [ and ] you can change the size of the cursor, with the grey oval cursor I found that the fix area is in the grey oval. You might want to zoom in on the eye (using the slider bar in the lower right of the window) and then change the icon so that the clear circle in the inside of the oval is roughly the same as the diameter of the pupil. One click of the mouse after that should do the trick! :)
6) To get the square bracket I hold the alt key and press 9 and 0 right?
On my Keyboard (standard english) the square brackets are the two keys to the right of the letter p.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.