Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I have many voice memo files in my iPhone. Their overall file size is getting pretty big and im wondering if there is a way to make them smaller as files.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I wonder if they could they be exported, transformed to mp3 and put back in the iPhone's VoiceMemo folder.
And even if this sounds like science fiction, i ask... could they at least be moved to a folder on my iMac so i can free space in my iPhone?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Can i at least move them out from my phone to save space?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
You can copy them (upload) to Dropbox or Google Drive via share
share symbol3.png
if you have one of those apps installed and the appropriate corresponding account.

Once you've got them copied, double check your work, then delete from the Voice Memos app.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Can i reduce their size, perhaps turn them into mp3s and then place them back in the iPhone again?

They're already 64kbps AAC mono files! Very small and minimal quality. An mp3 conversion of equal sound quality would be twice as large because it would convert the mono to two stereo channels.

If you follow my suggestion, with Google Drive for instance, they would be accessible and playable in the Drive app as long as you have an internet connection, wifi or cellular.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Your requirements are confusing. Do you want access to the files on your iPhone? Yes, you can get them to your computer via syncing but once you've deleted the copies on your iPhone you won't be able to hear them unless it's via a cloud service.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Why won't i be able to hear them? You mean i wont be able to do so through iPhone, through the VoiceMemos app?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I dont feel that you are not helping me. I just need a few fine tuning answers... thats all. ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.