Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Hi,
Why do my photos seem to lose contrast and saturation once uploaded. Maybe I have got something wrong (colourspace...??)

The same picture when viewed remotely seems more washed out than when viewed locally.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
CanadaRAM said:
Face it, you have little or no control over the way anything appears on a remote machine.

But I am looking at it on the same machine. The only thing that has changed is that once uploaded on the www it looks more washed out than before being uploaded. It does not matter if I host on my server or upload to macforums.

Would like to know why before I finish my photosite, as I want the uploaded pics to shine as much as possible.

I am uploading as 800x600, highest quality .jpg, ~200-500kb

Cheers

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
cookie1105 said:
But I am looking at it on the same machine. The only thing that has changed is that once uploaded on the www it looks more washed out than before being uploaded. It does not matter if I host on my server or upload to macforums.
Cheers

Are you using the same viewer in both cases? Possable you are looking at the jpg file with "preview" or iPhoto and then you move it to a server and look at it with Safari or Mozilla. Possably it is the viewer. I think browsers asume all images are created so they look best using "PC standard" gamma curve. Don't remember the numbers off hand.

FritzTheWonderM

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2003
Planet 10
I have noticed the same thing. I can only figure it's how the browsers handle the color space info. When I open the same image in safari and firefox there is a huge difference, (safari looks better).

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
I view in PS CS and it looks great. I view it online in firefox and it looks washed out. I have just tried it out in safari and it's much better.

Should really have worked this out sooner. I have had problems before with the way that firefox and safari handle hex colours on some of the websites that I have done.

Annoying all the same.

I though it maybe had something to do with the difference between AdobeRGB and sRGB; which I still don't understand

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Yeah it could be the color space. Or maybe photoshop is doing something funny when it saves. On a machine I had photoshop would always save stuff with a green tint. Never could figure out what was wrong.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
It may well be a gamma issue. I've been having problems with Safari's color rendition with my smugmug galleries unless the shot is viewed as the original file. I had to set my monitor to 2.2 gamma instead of the apple standard 1.8 so my files will look good for windows users as well.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I've noticed it as well...Photoshop is managing colorspace and web browsers do not.

I've noticed:

If you Save for Web in Photoshop it doesn't save the colorspace and ends up washing it out.

If you save with the colorspace included (an option in the save dialog), Safari will usually process it but other browsers will not.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
If its a big different its probably worse than the transition from adobe RGB to sRGB. Photoshop's probably messed up somehow

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
With Firefox or Camino if you are viewing the JPG file in the window, not the HTML file, you have to click on the image to view it full size.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
slooksterPSV said:
With Firefox or Camino if you are viewing the JPG file in the window, not the HTML file, you have to click on the image to view it full size.
Take a screen grab with them side by side. That will show a great deal.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Gamma and color space can be the main issues. IIRC the Mac gamma is 1.8 and Windows is like 2.2. A big difference IMO.

Color space can also effect how the image appears on the monitor. Adobe RGB and sRGB can be a problem for some images.

Then we have the issue of monitor calibration. I use the Monaco Optix XR to calibrate my monitor, and their EZColor to make sure that my Epson 1800 gives me WISIWIG in my final print.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Chip NoVaMac said:
Gamma and color space can be the main issues. IIRC the Mac gamma is 1.8 and Windows is like 2.2. A big difference IMO.

Color space can also effect how the image appears on the monitor. Adobe RGB and sRGB can be a problem for some images.

Then we have the issue of monitor calibration. I use the Monaco Optix XR to calibrate my monitor, and their EZColor to make sure that my Epson 1800 gives me WISIWIG in my final print.
But if he's viewing it on the same computer I don't think it can be gamma, or monitor calibration. Unless photoshop is using something weird.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
I have done a screenshot comparison. Please view in safari for best results. Pic was exported straight from lightroom as .jpg Screenshots are from viewing that pic in different applications
comparison.jpg

IMO it has something to do with the way that firefox and safari handle colour differently.

It is just one more reason for me to go back to safari as my main browser. Don't get me wrong firefox has done wonders for advancing standards-based browsing and with it's add on's and plug in's it is a great browser. But Safari just seems to get the little things right, even if it is a little bit slower.

Thanks for all your help:)

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
=O what the heck?? I never noticed that. But I don't do a lot with images on the net. Wow, I wonder if its bc of the difference in how they handle HTML which would include how they handle images which would be compiled/embedded differently.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
cookie1105 said:
I have done a screenshot comparison. Please view in safari for best results. Pic was exported straight from lightroom as .jpg Screenshots are from viewing that pic in different applications
comparison.jpg

IMO it has something to do with the way that firefox and safari handle colour differently.

It is just one more reason for me to go back to safari as my main browser. Don't get me wrong firefox has done wonders for advancing standards-based browsing and with it's add on's and plug in's it is a great browser. But Safari just seems to get the little things right, even if it is a little bit slower.

Thanks for all your help:)
Its mostly just less saturated. I'd hardly say it looks horrible. I've seen much worse color mismatch problems, usually including green tint.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
I've noticed this, too. Unless you're working in photoshop with the preview set to "Macintosh," the image online is going to look a lot less saturated to you. Also save as images, instead of save for web, since it exports your color space, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.