Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RandomHavoc

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2010
I'm clearing off my 2012 MacBook Pro to use it for something completely new. I want to make sure I have properly taken all steps before doing so.

I have a new MacBook but transferred things over piecemeal over the past 6 months as needed as I didn't want to transfer anything unnecessary or that was slowing down my 2012 MacBook.

I have:
-Music, documents, desktop, and photos synced via iCloud
-Manually transferred over the programs I want to keep

Is there anything obvious I might be missing?
Should I transfer over any of the actual audio files from the old computer or does that not matter now since I have them synced via Apple Music?

Bonus question: I just factory reset the MacBook and then do the operating system updates right? Nothing else to it?

Thanks

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
you may want to Un-authorize it from iTunes, I always forget that step. If you do not, you (will eventually) have to de-auth ALL devices and add them back in.

Adding data from the old machine will never have any performance impact on the new machine. I'd err on the side of data retention but do as you like.

I don't think you need to move your music if you have Match/Apple music.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Bonus question: I just factory reset the MacBook and then do the operating system updates right? Nothing else to it?

Well, what do you call Factory Reset?

You can either go the route of network restore, or download the macOS version you want, make a bootable USB from it, while the drive via Disk Utility and reinstall the OS. The whipping and reinstalling is the same no matter the process. And that is Disk Utility from within the recovery tool, not an installed macOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.