Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I have a shared media library on my Synology NAS, which generally works fine.

However, if I try to watch (for example) an episode of a ripped TV series on my Apple TV when the NAS is in standby, the Apple TV can throw an “Unable to Find Media” error before the NAS has time to spin-up. The trouble is, the ATV will then remove that episode from its Library so it’ll no longer be listed or possible to watch on the ATV.

Restarting the ATV, logging out/in or disabling/re-enabling Home Sharing don’t seem to make the ‘missing’ episodes show again, but I’ve noticed that they will eventually reappear, maybe weeks later.

So, is there a way of either preventing this in the first place (short of having to manually spin-up the NAS every time or have the disks running 24/7), or if not, to force the ATV Library to refresh?

Thanks!

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Not that I know of. If you are using the native AppleTV app- presumably "Computers"- it really wants your media stored on DAS vs. NAS. So a solution is to get a big fat DAS or RAID DAS and store all of that ripped media on it. You'll probably never have this problem again.

Else, other media player apps will likely work better with the NAS approach: PLEX? Infuse? Other?

And, when a piece of media is no longer seen for whatever reason for me, I have to close down the formerly iTunes apps (Music + TV) on the Mac and then reopen again, then restart AppleTV.

Last edited:
Reactions: NightFox

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Computers app? I often have to reboot the tvOS Computers app whenever I add new media. But I never need to reboot the ATV...

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
depending on which synology you have you may be able to run plex on it

then just get the plex client for the aTV (or pretty much any other device, including web browsers)

It's a bit more "true media library" instead of shared files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.