Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Federico87

Suspended
Original poster
May 2, 2016
Hi guys,
and here I am again asking for your buying advice.

I've carefully read the https://www.macrumors.com/guide/buying-refurbished-apple-products/ and still have a couple of doubts.

What have kept me away from refurb products till today is a simple consideration about performances, and battery like in particular.
I don't doubt they will be perfect and as-new from a pure performances perspective. What concerns me the most is battery life.

If and when I'll buy a refurbished it would be a MBA or a rMBP. In both cases I'd like to have the maximum battery possible as per a new product.

Am I crazy expecting this?
What should I expect from a refurbished product?
Is it a blind shot?

Cheers

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
If and when I'll buy a refurbished it would be a MBA or a rMBP. In both cases I'd like to have the maximum battery possible as per a new product.

They're refurbished, not just "used" -- part of the refurbishment process is that they put in new batteries. I rarely buy Apple products that aren't refurbished, and I've never run into a problem, and have never been able to notice any difference from a brand new product. You do, however, get a more nondescript box, but that's literally the only difference I've been able to see.

Federico87

Suspended
Original poster
May 2, 2016
New batteries for each and everyone or just for those which came in with defective ones?

And also,excuse my ignorance,what do you mean with "nondescript box"?

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
New batteries in every refurbished product. Don't forget that many refurbished items are the ones returned during the 14 days no questions asked period, and are practically brand new.

Non descript box is just a plain white box, not the fancy original one, that's all.

Reactions: Federico87

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I am replacing a 2009 as well.

But some of the refurb deals in the US aren't so hot. Especially if you buy from a site with no sales tax or freebies or whatever. BH and Adorama for example. Also, BH is selling a 13" MBA for $829 1.6/256 today; not a refurb. That's $100 LESS than the refurb.

Federico87

Suspended
Original poster
May 2, 2016
I am replacing a 2009 as well.

But some of the refurb deals in the US aren't so hot. Especially if you buy from a site with no sales tax or freebies or whatever. BH and Adorama for example. Also, BH is selling a 13" MBA for $829 1.6/256 today; not a refurb. That's $100 LESS than the refurb.

With laptop in particular,but with some techs in general, I don't trust anybody but the original manufacturer, so if and when, I'll buy directly from the Apple Refurb Store

Reactions: LizKat

HippyRabbitFish

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2013
Huntsville, AL
You do, however, get a more nondescript box, but that's literally the only difference I've been able to see.

I recently bought a certified refurbished mid-2012 13" MBP, and the box was not at all "non-descript". MacBook Pro on the box with :apple: Apple logo and sticker showing the model I bought. Is that typical of refurbs, or did I get a unit in an original box? Maybe I need to post a picture or two.

EDIT:
No picture on the outside. It may still say "MacBook Pro" and have the Apple logo. It just won't have a picture of the actual unit held inside the box. At least, that's what I *think* the difference is.

Last edited:

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Battery life will be strongly affected by how you use it. The Apple Store Genius I spoke with about this stated that 3-4 years is about what they last, regardless of cycle count. In my experience, my daughter's MBA lasted 1000+ cycles. My wife's about 300. Both were at a little over 4 years.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I recently bought a certified refurbished mid-2012 13" MBP, and the box was not at all "non-descript". MacBook Pro on the box with :apple: Apple logo and sticker showing the model I bought. Is that typical of refurbs, or did I get a unit in an original box? Maybe I need to post a picture or two.

EDIT:
No picture on the outside. It may still say "MacBook Pro" and have the Apple logo. It just won't have a picture of the actual unit held inside the box. At least, that's what I *think* the difference is.
Yeah, it's still a very nice box, but not quite as "retail-y", but still way nicer than most manufacturers would give you.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
You really can't go wrong with an Apple refurb. There aren't many manufacturers about whom I would say that. But Apple does a really, really good job with their refurbs. You get the exact same warranty, so there really is no downside whatsoever.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G4
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Agree with the others. I've purchased refurb products from Apple and have no qualms about having done so. Will do so again, when the time comes. New batteries, new external cases, same-as-new warranty. Can't go wrong, IMO.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I have purchased a 2015 13" MacBook Pro and a 2015 27" iMac both refurb'd from Apple. They both looked brand new when I received them. Even came with the plastic wrap on them like new ones do. They do however, come in plain brown and white boxes.

mcpryon2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
My 2016 15" MBP refurb came in the same box my retail ones did, except it says it's refurbished.

My previous refurb purchases came in the "brown paper bag" equivalent boxes, though.

Raz0rEdge

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2016
MA
All good advice, the only thing I would add that it is best to buy refurbished directly from Apple (you can have it delivered to your home or your local Apple Store for pickup since it requires signature)..but avoid buying refurbished from anyone else. Too many vendors get sloppy by putting "refurbished" on just used Macs.

The advantage of Apple refurbished as opposed to used or refurbished by anyone else is that you get the 1 year free AppleCare from date of purchase and can purchase an additional 2 years (to get 3 full years) before the first year expires like any new Apple product. This, coupled with the discount that you get, is a win-win in my books..

Regards

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.