Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

navjotcheema

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2023
M2 pro mac mini
10CPU/16GPU cores
retails at $1849
(after student discount)

and
M1 pro 8CPU/14GPU cores
14 inch macbook pro
retails at $2299 (refurbished; m2 pro retails $2950 after student discount)

(Australian prices)

I'm a software developer who already has a decent 4k monitor and some apple accessories lying around; making the above a tough choice. Any suggestions?

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Both great machines but clearly so different. If the device is going to stay in one place all the time, I'd 100% buy the Mini. Save the money, get the better chips, take advantage of your existing accessories. But if you want a laptop, then the decision is fairly easy.

appled_out

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2023
M2 pro mac mini
10CPU/16GPU cores
retails at $1849
(after student discount)

and
M1 pro 8CPU/14GPU cores
14 inch macbook pro
retails at $2299 (refurbished; m2 pro retails $2950 after student discount)

(Australian prices)

I'm a software developer who already has a decent 4k monitor and some apple accessories lying around; making the above a tough choice. Any suggestions?
definitely the m2 pro mini. I have seen benchmark scores of the m2 pro mac mini to be better than m1 mac studio. also the advantages of the mini over the m1 pro laptop are advanced hdmi 2.1 and additional monitor display support. not to forget the wifi 6E and the bluetooth 5.3 as well. plus it's so much cheaper than the laptop, you might as well get another high quality display in that laptops budget. and well the only downside of m2 pro mini being that the front doesn't have the extra 2 thunderbolt ports as well as the sd card reader. i'm sure you can attach an external reader.

Last edited:
Reactions: navjotcheema

navjotcheema

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2023
Both great machines but clearly so different. If the device is going to stay in one place all the time, I'd 100% buy the Mini. Save the money, get the better chips, take advantage of your existing accessories. But if you want a laptop, then the decision is fairly easy.
Thanks, that's a good point. I think because I've been using macbooks so long that switching to a desktop just feels weird in my head (since ipad was not a thing when I last owned a desktop).

But yeah, I also have an ipad to cater my on the go computing (media consumption mostly), mac mini m2 pro might be a perfect machine.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Also look at the total cost, including accessories. Mini comes with nothing but a power cord. Clever marketing hides fact, that keyboard, mouse, or trackpad is extra.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Thanks, that's a good point. I think because I've been using macbooks so long that switching to a desktop just feels weird in my head (since ipad was not a thing when I last owned a desktop).

But yeah, I also have an ipad to cater my on the go computing (media consumption mostly), mac mini m2 pro might be a perfect machine.
I get it. I like having a dedicated desktop. But it does feel kind of constraining I guess.

navjotcheema

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2023
Also look at the total cost, including accessories. Mini comes with nothing but a power cord. Clever marketing hides fact, that keyboard, mouse, or trackpad is extra.
true but you have the choice of make your own working combo which I end up doing anyway even if I have a laptop :D
plus, the mouse/keyboard/monitor I already bought for work (intel macbook pro) come handy with mac mini; I'm thinking continuity hehe

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Do you already have a Mac laptop?

If so, get the Mini, and KEEP the laptop "for laptop things"...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Do you have mobility needs, i.e., take a computer with you? if so, then get the MBP. If not get the desktop

navjotcheema

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2023
Do you already have a Mac laptop?

If so, get the Mini, and KEEP the laptop "for laptop things"...
Yes, do have a work macbook but since its a "work macbook", there's a lot of things I'm not supposed to do coz of corporate monitoring

After a long swinging between m2 pro mac mini and m1 pro mbp 14; I'm going to place order for m1 pro mbp 14 apple refurbished; its just an incredible value when compared to both m2 pro mac mini (mini-led display, trackpad, keyboard, portability, incredible speakers) and m2 pro mbp (A$900 cheaper for 20% less compute ~ 28% less price)

Yes, there is like a billion hz 4k and 8k monitor support, but I'm no designer/creative, don't need high end monitors; similarly, for my networking needs, I think wifi 6ac is same as 6E to my use case.

thanks all heaps in helping me choose :)

Last edited:
Reactions: tstafford
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.