Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
After, updating to Sequoia, I this popup. What app could this be in reference to and should I allow it?

Screenshot 2024-09-16 at 4.23.59 PM.png

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
What app could this be in reference to
Look in Activity Monitor (with View > All processes) for a process called 'register' and see what files it has open (info button and then Files and Ports). The first couple of lines will tell you where the app is stored, and so tell you something about the process.

Reactions: acousticbiker

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
Look in Activity Monitor (with View > All processes) for a process called 'register' and see what files it has open (info button and then Files and Ports). The first couple of lines will tell you where the app is stored, and so tell you something about the process.
Great tip! While I still can't tell what it is, it's published by Apple, so I decided to give it permission and then it actually dropped out of Activity Monitor

zapres

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2024
For me it seems to be related to the "think-cell" plugin I use with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint as open files shows this:
/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/think-cell/tcaddin.plugin/Contents/Helpers/register
Not sure if it really needs "access data from other apps" though 🙈

galad

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2022
macOS Sequoia expanded to the protection of containers to group containers. The issue is that if the group container is named incorrectly (without the developer team id) a lot of unnecessary alerts like that will show up.

Tobyfish

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2017
For me it seems to be related to the "think-cell" plugin I use with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint as open files shows this:

Not sure if it really needs "access data from other apps" though 🙈
Ah that would make sense. I use that plugin too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.