Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klophop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2023
Hi,
I am trying to reinstall MacOS on a MacBook Air 13" (2017) (A1466).
Without success.
Tried several times, from the startup boot menu (cmd key + r)
I have no choice but choose an Internet wifi connexion at startup. Can't boot on USB support.
So, by choosing a wifi Internet connexion, it starts reinstalling from Internet but always failed.
Almost every time, it tries to reinstall Sierra without fail error message (picture "1" in attachment).
Once, it tries to reinstall Monterey (why instead of Sierra?). Failed too (picture "2" in attachment).
Also had another error once (picture "3" in attachment).
I tried to format the SSD from a PC and start reinstalling again. Same issue.
Don't know what to do to get this MacBooko functionnal again.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    581.6 KB · Views: 73

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
2017 MBA wouldn’t have a T2 security chip so it’s not an Activation Lock issue. But, 2003 errors booting to Internet Recovery usually means an issue with your network - a firewall preventing the Mac from connecting. Pretty common on school Wi-Fi or some business Wi-Fi networks. Try using a different Wi-Fi, one at an Apple Store should work if nothing else.

Reactions: klophop

klophop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2023
2017 MBA wouldn’t have a T2 security chip so it’s not an Activation Lock issue. But, 2003 errors booting to Internet Recovery usually means an issue with your network - a firewall preventing the Mac from connecting. Pretty common on school Wi-Fi or some business Wi-Fi networks. Try using a different Wi-Fi, one at an Apple Store should work if nothing else.
I only got this error once. It was the one the Mac tried to install Monerey instead of Sierra (don't know why).
Now, each time I try to reinstall again, I got this error:
"An error occurred while preparing the installation"
mac_shit.PNG

Tried to format the SSD with the Mac utility just before (by booting with cmd+R keys).
Same result.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
OK, try booting with Command-Option-R. Use Disk Utility to erase the disk, then Reinstall macOS. That “Should” get you macOS Ventura.

Reactions: klophop

klophop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2023
Someone told me the same.
I tried again to boot with the Command-Option-R keys.
And this time, it worked!
it installed Monterey version.
Case solved.
So, for some reason, Command-R does not help to reinstall MacOS.
Thanks for your help FreakinEurekan. :)

Reactions: FreakinEurekan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.