Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jastino27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
Hi.
I had a trouble partitioning my hdd and ended up deleting my hdd with the Operating System, which is OS X El Capitan.
unfortunately/fortunately El capitan has an OS install program saved on the HDD, but requires an Internet connection to valid the IMEI. But apparently My Mac Pro from 2008 can't access the internet when in recovery statement!
Any one has any Solution I could try? Feels like i tried everything......

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I dont have thoes anymore. Any other options?

Don't you have a Snow Leopard DVD either? A Time Machine backup?

If you have not kept a copy of your install image on another disk or drive and if you do not have an in-tact recovery partition from which you could reinstall or load OS X, then a DVD is the only (legal) option.

Jastino27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
But if I a have a USB Stick with Snow Leopard in dmg format do you think that would be possible? It just seems like i cant get it to boot from CD or another disk drive?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
But if I a have a USB Stick with Snow Leopard in dmg format do you think that would be possible? It just seems like i cant get it to boot from CD or another disk drive?

I still do not understand what your available setup is. Can you boot into a system on your Mac or not? Do you have another computer?

Jastino27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
I can't get into the system. only Recovery mode. But i cant reinstall El capitan because my mac pro can't seem to get online in recovery mode. I think not getting online in recovery mode is an issue old mac computers do have

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I can't get into the system. only Recovery mode. But i cant reinstall El capitan because my mac pro can't seem to get online in recovery mode. I think not getting online in recovery mode is an issue old mac computers do have
If you can get into recovery mode, you can get on the internet, assuming your computer has the original Apple wifi equipment.
Once the computer starts into the recovery environment, use the wifi menu item at the top right of the screen to choose your wifi network.

Jastino27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
I don't think my mac has WiFi. I can't see it in the right corner or in Settings. I bought this computer used, but i dont the previous user would remove the wireless network card.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I don't think my mac has WiFi. I can't see it in the right corner or in Settings. I bought this computer used, but i dont the previous user would remove the wireless network card.
I assume the computer is then connected to the internet by a cable, or did it not have internet access available even when it was running? Please provide some specifics. Exactly what errors do you get when you try to reinstall? How do you connect to the internet?

Jastino27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
Yes the computer have a cable connected. I deleted my hdd without having a Time machine, or an OS X on disk of somekind (regret). And now when my computer starts up in recovery mode i can't reinstall El Capitan because it's not online apparantly.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Hi.
I had a trouble partitioning my hdd and ended up deleting my hdd with the Operating System, which is OS X El Capitan.
unfortunately/fortunately El capitan has an OS install program saved on the HDD, but requires an Internet connection to valid the IMEI. But apparently My Mac Pro from 2008 can't access the internet when in recovery statement!
Any one has any Solution I could try? Feels like i tried everything......
What do you mean by "recovery statement"?
Why do you think you "cant get it to boot from CD or another disk drive"?

I suspect there is a terminology issue with the posts. Recovery mode runs "OS X Utilities" that gives you options like install OS, restore from time machine, get help online, and disk utility. Do see those choices?
If you just see a picture of globe that only has a pulldown to choose a network then you are in Internet Recovery mode. I suspect you only have Internet Recovery mode available since you formatted your HDD. Unfortunately Internet Recovery only lets you select a wifi connection to access the internet. Wifi was optional in the early 2008 Mac Pro and it sounds like you don't have that optional wifi card installed. The good news is Internet Recovery may not have worked anyway since your system shipped with OS 10.5 and Install DVDs.

I think your only option (having no backups) is to buy the Snow Leopard DVD (10.6) from Apple, install it from DVD, update to 10.6.8, and then download/install El Capitan from the App Store. NOTE: If your internal Superdrive does not work then you are screwed and buying the Snow Leopard DVD will do no good unless the Superdrive is replaced. You might then have to buy a USB installer with EL Capitan on it fro Amazon or eBay (search for it).

When things are back to normal:
Think about making a El Capitan USB installer for the future.
Think about implementing a backup process.

Your problem is a prime example of why everyone needs backups.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Yes the computer have a cable connected. I deleted my hdd without having a Time machine, or an OS X on disk of somekind (regret). And now when my computer starts up in recovery mode i can't reinstall El Capitan because it's not online apparantly.
Again, exactly what error do you get when you try to reinstall from recovery?

Jastino27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
Recovery mode runs "OS X Utilities" that gives you options like install OS, restore from time machine, get help online, and disk utility. Do see those choices? - Yes i do see those.

I dont think its able to boot from CD cause i tried several times holding c and option button down, while starting up.

I'm also starting to think that booting from a snow leopard CD might be an option. But then i would still have to force booting from CD, which hasn't been possible so far. It has a black screen for a very long time until i see the OS X utilities
[doublepost=1458416045][/doublepost]
Again, exactly what error do you get when you try to reinstall from recovery?
When i try to reinstall from recovery it says that it aint possible because there isn't any connection, and i have to install a Wifi og Cable.
[doublepost=1458417693][/doublepost]Maybe if i try to use time machine from another Mac im able to use restore that on my Mac pro

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Recovery mode runs "OS X Utilities" that gives you options like install OS, restore from time machine, get help online, and disk utility. Do see those choices? - Yes i do see those.
I dont think its able to boot from CD cause i tried several times holding c and option button down, while starting up.
I'm also starting to think that booting from a snow leopard CD might be an option. But then i would still have to force booting from CD, which hasn't been possible so far. It has a black screen for a very long time until i see the OS X utilities
To start from a DVD it has to be bootable DVD and to start from the DVD just hold the c key only or just the option to get to the boot manager, NOT BOTH keys. Here is a list of startup key combinations. Be patient when booting from a DVD since it is slow.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Keep multiple bootable backup "clones" like those made by Carbon Copy Cloner
http://www.bombich.com

3,1 did not have wifi card generally, but would have Enet.

A video card upgrade can affect what you can boot from, minimum OS version.

Disks fail, but even 250GB SSD are cheap today.

Any of the tips and tutorials will help on how to create a USB Installer, assume one was used.
Buying used, always start with a new clean/fresh OS and install yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.