Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I was wondering if there is a way to relocate the master files, but keep the file structure I have created in aperture. That is --I have been using aperture to manage all of my images, in raw, and fear that I will soon run out of hard disk space. I would still like to see all of the previews of my images and such, but I wouldn't mind having aperture reference my images and I would keep only my most current project on my internal drive (of course I have all of my images backed up).

But as my library grows I would incrementally move my old images to their new home on an external disk. Is there an easy way to do this in aperture?

redrabbit

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
You could export masters and have it export in a folder named the project. Closest thing I can think of.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I was wondering if there is a way to relocate the master files, but keep the file structure I have created in aperture. That is --I have been using aperture to manage all of my images, in raw, and fear that I will soon run out of hard disk space. I would still like to see all of the previews of my images and such, but I wouldn't mind having aperture reference my images and I would keep only my most current project on my internal drive (of course I have all of my images backed up).

But as my library grows I would incrementally move my old images to their new home on an external disk. Is there an easy way to do this in aperture?

It's not clear what you want to do. I'm thinking that you have an Aperture library on your internal drive. Aperture is managing the files, none are refferenced and you simply want to move the library to a larger disk?

The simplest way to move the entire "Pictures" folder to the external disk and delete the one on the smaller disk. Then make an alias called "Pictures" that takes the place of the old folder and points to the new one. Aperture and iPhoto wil never notice the that you moved anything

If you don't trust that it will work don't delete the old Picures folder just rename it to somethinf like "DeleteMeLater". and do make backups before.

OK a more conventional method: Make a new library place it on your new drive. Select then export every project in the old library. Then import the projects to the new one.

Can also do this with "Aperture Vaults": Connect vault to old library, save everyhing. then connect it to new library and restore everything.

I'm sure there are even more ways. All of the above should preserve all your files, versions, settings so on.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
It's not clear what you want to do. I'm thinking that you have an Aperture library on your internal drive. Aperture is managing the files, none are refferenced and you simply want to move the library to a larger disk?

The simplest way to move the entire "Pictures" folder to the external disk and delete the one on the smaller disk. Then make an alias called "Pictures" that takes the place of the old folder and points to the new one. Aperture and iPhoto wil never notice the that you moved anything

If you don't trust that it will work don't delete the old Picures folder just rename it to somethinf like "DeleteMeLater". and do make backups before.

OK a more conventional method: Make a new library place it on your new drive. Select then export every project in the old library. Then import the projects to the new one.

Can also do this with "Aperture Vaults": Connect vault to old library, save everyhing. then connect it to new library and restore everything.

I'm sure there are even more ways. All of the above should preserve all your files, versions, settings so on.

you miss understand what I am looking for. I want my library to continue to grow, I don't want to make more libraries. I simply want to move my old masters and just keep the previews in the library. then continue to use the already formed library.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
you miss understand what I am looking for. I want my library to continue to grow, I don't want to make more libraries. I simply want to move my old masters and just keep the previews in the library. then continue to use the already formed library.

OK, in the end you want just one library. But I think getting there will involve creating a second library, moving the images and deleting the first library.

I think many notebook users do have two Aperture libaries. One on the internal drive for projects they are actively working one so they can work when away from home and a second larger library either on a desktop computer or on a large external drive. Aperture makes it easy to move projects between libraries.

NightGeometry

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2004
Probably a useless post, but i want/need the exact same thing. Would like to move 24GB of photo's off of my main hard disk, but not lose any of the tags and adjustments.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Couldn't you do this by moving the masters and then re-linking the previews to them by using the Manage Referenced Files tools?

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
well here's what I did:
I created a folder structure that's similar to my Aperture Library, sans the projects themselves.

Then I used the relocate Masters button and moved each project, and said to create each projects folder with the name of the project, and just created each one in the appropriate place. It took about thirty minutes for my whole library.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.