Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CactuarJon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2018
Hi there

I bought an Ipad 2 for my mum a while back. She's not the most technologically literate by far and it can be difficult to explain to her how to use it especially since she lives in another county (she knows the bare basics). I also have the same model Ipad 2 and I want to know if there's any way I can set up a remote access between the two ipads to be able to help her when she has any issues?

I have looked at teamviewer, but you have to have iOS 11 or something to use it, and as far as I'm aware, these old iPads won't update that far.

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Sadly, I don't think you're going to find an application that will let you demonstrate things in real time over the Internet on her older iPad (although I could be wrong on that, it was news to me that Teamviewer has an app that can do that on iOS 11). However, you can make demonstration movies that show how to accomplish tasks on an iPad that you can then send to her, or make available on a shared cloud platform like Dropbox. The way to do that is connect your iPad to your Mac computer, and start up Quicktime. Under the file menu there will be an option to record a movie using the iOS device as the source. Details here:

https://www.imore.com/how-record-yo...21.1721673323.1522092387-220181714.1444668954

This is going to be mostly useful in the direction from you to her; if she's not technical enough to do much with her iPad she's not going to be keen on going through the hoops to record the movie that shows where she is diving into the weeds. Note that you can also make screen recordings directly using iOS 11, which is accessed through the control center (you may need to add the widget to your control center first in Settings).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.