Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Charingx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
I'm in the market for a point-and-click digital camera with remote capture capability. (I'm a grad student. I've long used a digital camera and a tripod to take many photos of documents quickly. The ability to preview images on my Macbook and take pictures with a key stroke will, I'm sure, lead to fewer blurred/crooked images, less neck pain, and a faster rate of page turning.)

I've had trouble finding an up-to-date list of digital cameras with remote capture capability via USB, using either Snow Leopard Image Capture or free bundled software. I know that something from the EOS-series would do the job, but I just don't have the money. I've had a frustrating time sorting through manufacturers' websites. I'm not under a deadline, but would rather not go through the hassle of restocking to find a camera with the remote capture feature. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
If you're just using it to capture documents then why not go and get a flatbed scanner? Because not only is it meant for scanning in documents but it will let you preview the image on your computer and then capture the final image with just a keystroke.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
I know that the rebel XSI does, as does the 40D (would imagine the 30D does as well). The G11 might, but you are in the price range of the Rebel line.

Remote capture is not feasible in the field. I mean i shoot landscapes, and i am not going to set up camp doing that. And with the advancements of PS, not perfectly straight photos is not that big of a deal. To remedy that, i even bought an EF-D focus screen for my 40D, works great!

Also, if you are worried about neck pains and such, Canon does sell an angle viewer. It is kind of spendy ($120-150 used), but worth it if you have bad knees/neck, etc.

Charingx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
I have a scanner, which I use for important documents and images. I use the camera when I need to process hundreds of documents quickly. Whereas a normal photographer is aiming for quality, I am working toward quantity. I might take 900+ pictures a day at National Archives. When going at that clip, inevitably a handful of pictures are blurred or crooked, even pictures that look fine on the viewer. On rare occasions my hand ends up in the picture. Using a timer doesn't work, as my pace changes. I don't have a bad neck, but simplifying my movements would help with the strain.
Thanks for the comments!

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
I have a scanner, which I use for important documents and images. I use the camera when I need to process hundreds of documents quickly. Whereas a normal photographer is aiming for quality, I am working toward quantity. I might take 900+ pictures a day at National Archives. When going at that clip, inevitably a handful of pictures are blurred or crooked, even pictures that look fine on the viewer. On rare occasions my hand ends up in the picture. Using a timer doesn't work, as my pace changes. I don't have a bad neck, but simplifying my movements would help with the strain.
Thanks for the comments!

Ok, so it'a mostly documents that can't really be carried over to a scanner and scanned. Well, then a camera that has a high ISO and a fast lens would probably be of more benefit than a tripod and a computer.

I guess it depends on how mobile you have to be. If you will be doing a lot of moving then you need a better camera but if you can bring the documents to a central location having a pre set up station might work well. If it's the latter then I would get an EOS camera, since that will come with EOS Utility and make it very easy to do everything from a laptop. All of Canon's PowerShots don't have the ability (at least something from Canon) to do any sort of tethering.

I also did some checking on other camera brands (Nikon and Sony, etc.) and none of their point-and-shoots can do tethered shooting either. So you may be stuck with getting a DSLR.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
Also, i know that canon makes the WFT-E3/E3A grip for the 40D. It sends files wirelessly to a computer. It is expensive, i am sure.

Also, if you are using remote capture, just add a bunch of light to your work area. $20 lights from home depot (work lights) work great!

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
Save up

IF you have that much work to shoot, I would suggest getting something like the Nikon D5000 with the flip out screen. On the tripod you will be able to see the image without craning your neck.

I don't know if it can be tethered or not, but with the screen flipped you will be able to see you image from any angle.

It is also faster than a point and shoot cutting down the image blur. A lot of image blur comes from waiting for the lag of a P&S.

Unfortunately, you can't use the SB600 or 800 remote flash capability with this camera... Works great for close quarter work.

Personally, I use a D80 for the same kind of work with photos and slides and I have to use the view finder because it doesn't have live view. I've been doing this kind of work for over 25 years. I don't do as much as I use to, but if this type of work was more of my daily percentage, I think I would get this model.

Also you can get an infrared remote for it... $15... cool little remote.

Charingx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
Thanks a lot, guys. My needs are unusual. (A document scanner would be perfect, but they are banned in the archives. Bringing in extra light would be great, but that too is not allowed. They are being generous by letting in cameras, so I can't complain.) I appreciate the hunting you guys have done.

mnjohn21

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2010
Have some ideas for you

I think we must be in the same line of work... If you have not already found what you are looking for, check out this website:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_PowerShot_A

It has a list of remote capture capable cameras near the bottom. Canon stopped making point and clicks with remote capture capabilities several years ago, but you can still get them used, via ebay. The only new model is the G10, I think, but that is very expensive...see you in the archives

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.