Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tunaslurpee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2018
Hey everyone--

Just looking for the best program to use remote desktop. I've got a pair of parents running Win7 and MacOS, and they're making me crazy. Wondered what you all use to connect remotely from one Mac (or PC) to another. Suggestions SO WELCOME.

Thanks.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Logmein used to be great years ago....but no more free version.

Best I am aware that is free for (non-commerical use) is Team Viewer.

Google Chrome has an available remote desktop tool, and I used it for while. Worked pretty well, but keeping all the parts in sync (version updates) killed it for me. This is a few years back. Might be worth trying again.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Hey everyone--

Just looking for the best program to use remote desktop. I've got a pair of parents running Win7 and MacOS, and they're making me crazy. ...

I second (third, fourth,...) TeamViewer. I've used it for several years to access and manage remote machines, including my mother in law's. I can actually run my work desktop (iMac 27" with second monitor) remotely from my 8" Windows 10 tablet, provided I have a keyboard and mouse connected to the tablet. Using it may reduce the amount you're driven crazy, but won't completely "cure" the malady.

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise
I use Teamviewer from my Mac to connect to Windows remote clients about once a month. It works great.

I also have tested the iOS Teamviewer app to remote into Windows desktops.

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
Jump Desktop. Use it to connect to Macs & Windows 10 and Windows server. Never had a problem. The latest version has screen sharing as well.
It's available on Mac, iOS and Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.