Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coronas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
Hi,

Sorry for this kind of basic newbie question, but I have just bought a mac mini which will serve as my development server remotely for 3rd party developers (behind my router)

Does anybody have an idea for a setup which allows a third party to login to the computer and develop a web application using Python/flask/sql/html?

Obviously I need to have a separate account with limited access (through ssh?) but enough to be able to execute and install python modules, start the flask webserver and also to be able upload html files using ftp? I am on 10.11.6.

Would OS X server do any good here or is it unnecessary?

I know this is a very general, high level question with potentially a lot of answers and sorry for this but I don't know where to start.

Thanks in advance

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
OS X server isn't necessary

You would create each developer as a user

Then run your web server (Apache), create a group with all those users in it (call it webdev or something) and give that group permission to the web server's directory /var/www/ or whatever it ends up being

Then you have to give them permissions to use SQL databases

And you will have to make sure they behave and don't mess with each others files! maybe run a virtual host for each of them

I personally would use Linux on a VPS for this sort of thing but it can be done on a Mac

Reactions: coronas

coronas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
OS X server isn't necessary

You would create each developer as a user

Then run your web server (Apache), create a group with all those users in it (call it webdev or something) and give that group permission to the web server's directory /var/www/ or whatever it ends up being

Then you have to give them permissions to use SQL databases

And you will have to make sure they behave and don't mess with each others files! maybe run a virtual host for each of them

I personally would use Linux on a VPS for this sort of thing but it can be done on a Mac

Thanks, I'll give that a go!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.