Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XgcSnowKing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2019
anaheim
I would love to have a clear answer on this subject
i have a 2017 IMac 21.5 inch 4k and i need the stand removed so i can get a lower desk stand or mount to fit my desk. the part number I have is mne02ll/a. i have found some after market vesa mount kits but they are unclear as to if it will fit my IMac. please help.

scsibuzz

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2019
I would love to have a clear answer on this subject
i have a 2017 IMac 21.5 inch 4k and i need the stand removed so i can get a lower desk stand or mount to fit my desk. the part number I have is mne02ll/a. i have found some after market vesa mount kits but they are unclear as to if it will fit my IMac. please help.

My understanding has been the iMac models that supported a removable stand to VESA mount had structural problems causing bending. For this reason, modern iMac's that are intended to be VESA mounted requires a special order that ships without the stand and accepts a VESA.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac-vesa

I've seen some YouTube's of folks drilling holes into the stand but it's not intended. Millage may vary. The 21" is probably lighter, but the 2017+ are meant to be purchased with the VESA option for the most reliable experience.

TwoH

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2019
21.5" 2012-2017 vesa mounts are all the same - 923-01674, 923-0421, 923-0417, 923-00561.

It isn't simple to remove the stand and replace with a vesa mount, as you will have to go completely inside of the machine - including removing the LCD.
@scsibuzz is right in the sense that iMac models nowadays generally (excluding iMac Pro) don't have easy-access removable stands.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
This isn't worth the trouble.
Either get an iMac that already has built-in capabilities to use a VESA mount, or use the factory stand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.