Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SimonTT

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
Bavaria
I like AirPods Max, but since I have high end Headphones (that just got replaced under warranty and likely will be replaced for a long time [36 month warranty but headband breaks after 18 months max]), I really can't justify the 580€ price tag. So I am thinking about buying a used one. I found a badly scuffed black pair. I really dig the raw aluminium AirPods Max with black. It is possible to remove the anodising (
). Has anyone ever done such a thing on AirPods Max before? And are there any experts here that know what chemical is best suited for this (I am quite skilled so I will disassemble them as far as possible but things like the antenna are cast into the shell). As long as nobody talks me out of it I will definitely update you on how it went.

Image 1.jpeg

ISignedUpToAskThis

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2022
Just sand it off.
This. The cups aren't huge.

Might be best to disassemble them as far you can to avoid any debris getting into the speaker/mic grills but if I was attempting this (and I've considered it myself), I'd just gradually wet and dry sand down - starting with a fairly fine-grit paper.

perezr10

macrumors 68010
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I removed the dark finish on a space black titanium Apple Watch with a dremel. It looked great with the lighter natural finish. That was Titanium but it would probably be a similar process With your Max.

or buy some covers on Amazon. I love the glossy carbon fiber look.
IMG_1940.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.