Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShakeWellProd

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
Hello,

First, thank you for helping with the last question I had. I changed the sky to a view from my apt. in San Francisco.

Notice the line to the left of the face. That is where part of his shirt went before I used the quick selection tool to remove it. It left this WHITE line. I've tried many things to remove it.

how can I remove this swiftly? Thank you PS pros.

j.

2ilzi4z.png

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
i would make a new layer and then use the clone tool.

zoom in and carefully clone over the white line.

i don't think there's another way to do it swiftly. it's just going to take a bit of time, but it can be done.

good luck,
keebler

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
You can see a similar line over his left shoulder too. FWIW, the non-level horizon in the background is giving me vertigo. Did SF have a major earthquake when I wasn't looking?

ShakeWellProd

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
Fixed it. I copied the background layer of the city, which removed most of it, then used the clone tool in areas needed.

Thank you.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
There is a white line in this photo? Where? I cant see anything but this MASSIVE baby head :)

ShakeWellProd, you could probably put a nude model behind the baby and no one would notice :)

Glad you got it fixed up!

ShakeWellProd

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
:))

Thanks for all the interesting comments.

He's my first born and this is my first Photoshop touch up. Thanks to Lynda.com.

So here is a rough draft of this.

One thing I had trouble doing was doing a quick mask around the blue part of his eye. I would try and add a Vibrance Adjustment to it and switch the mask color to "black" so that the part of his eye that is blue would enhance, but the entire picture was effected. I followed a tutorial that I found online but when he added vibrance his mask was always black. Mine was white. So I Option-Backspace to change it to black. Apply the quick mask and adjust the Vibrance but the eye was unaffected.

Also, the layer with Beau (my son) on it was a Smart layer that I had to Rasterize somewhere early in the project.

Why was the entire photo effected and not just the quick masked area?

Bear with me. I only started using this program a week ago.

Before:
nz1z6w.jpg

AFTER:
30bzlky.jpg

ShakeWellProd

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
I'd like to hear anyone tell me what they thought I could add or subtract to improve the picture??

Filters, effects; etc.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I'd like to hear anyone tell me what they thought I could add or subtract to improve the picture??

Filters, effects; etc.

Erm, nothing at all. The best thing, IMO, is to get things (mostly) right in-camera, so that PP is just a minor tweak or two. I prefer the original pic, on the blanket (though with the 'red eye' fixed). Less time in PP gives you more time when you shoot (in theory, at least :)), so maybe wait for a more appealing expression. It's all in the expression...

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
The best thing, IMO, is to get things (mostly) right in-camera, so that PP is just a minor tweak or two.

I agree with that statement 1000 percent. Photoshop makes it too easy for people to do questionable things to otherwise decent photos.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
Fake DOF would go a long way in making this look realistic.

Apply a light gaussian blur to the background.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I much prefer your babies skin tone on the first picture and I agree with FX120 - a bit of blur on the back ground if you're going to use it but I also prefer the blanket.

apearlman

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2007
Red Hook, NY
My suggestion: stop improving this picture.

I think your "improvement" to baby's skin looks strange and artificial.
And the city background still looks tilted.

But mostly, I don't really understand why you're trying to combine these two images. Are you just trying to learn the software? Or do you have some vision or purpose for this photo?

As always, this is just one stranger's opinion...

ShakeWellProd

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
Just...

I'm just learning the techniques and tools of the software. I don't shoot photos, so I use what I have to practice PS.

nicfargo

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2008
Nebraska
For the most part with babies, you shouldn't have to do a whole lot to their skin other then remove huge blemishes. Their skin is already as smooth as any skin should be, and any additional smoothing is going to look odd. A little cloning and healing brush should do you fine with any child.

I tried lynda.com for a while, but just didn't get a whole lot out of it. If you really want to learn, learn from the professionals at kelbytraining.com They have a ton of tutorials and you actually learn a lot of useful stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.