Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AL1630

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
I'm trying to remove the front fans in a mac pro, and the top part slides out easily, but the bottom part seems like it's stuck on something. None of the guides I've found have worked. Is there something I'm missing?

Last edited:

vworks

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2017
yes, it is connected to the logic board, the connector is big, so you pull a bit more and that's it.
Also you have a screw up there but I presume you already removed it

AL1630

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
I've removed the screw, but no matter how much I pull on it in any direction, it remains stuck at the bottom.

vworks

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2017
First you begin with removing the screws for the RAM risers
After this you unscrew a bit the internal (2) screws for the ram risers and this will make the case of the ram loose.
You move it to the right a bit, you also move a bit the CPU cage on the right and ONLY then you attack the fan assembly - screw and pulling out at last out of the connector!

AL1630

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
Unfortunately, one of the screws at the bottom of the computer just spins when turned, so I can't undo it. I guess I'll have to find a way to get it out.

vworks

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2017
Unfortunately, one of the screws at the bottom of the computer just spins when turned, so I can't undo it. I guess I'll have to find a way to get it out.

One of those in the RAM cage?

vworks

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2017
Try to figure something out. Even without removing it, maybe you would be able to move a bit the cage...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.