Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WordsmithMR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2015
Murica
I'm currently running Windows 7 on a 2012 MBP and I am considering upgrading my MBP so I would like to reuse the W7 key on my new laptop. It has been about 3-4 years since I last deleted the partition (had to increase the size back then) so I'm a little rusty on how I go about retrieving the product key so that it is usable again. Would I have to go into the Windows Command Prompt, or will the Windows Removal option on Bootcamp take care of that for me, allowing me to reuse the key?

Many thanks!

Just re-use the key on your new machine, typically as long as both Windows partitions are not running at the same time, Microsoft won't block the key, if you do happen to run into issues, just call Microsoft with the number provided on the activation screen, and explain to them that you bought a new computer and want to migrate it to the new machine. They do it all the time and it takes about 5-10 minutes (about 30 seconds of that is talking the rest is waiting).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There's no way to deauthorize the computer, short of reusing the key and if need be, calling MS which is a simple and automated process. I did this myself a couple of times over the years and it was fine.

WordsmithMR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2015
Murica
I guess something must have changed over the years, because I know it was an option. I guess I will just call MS if there is a problem.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I guess something must have changed over the years, because I know it was an option. I guess I will just call MS if there is a problem.

I had to do it when I replaced my motherboard in my PC. When you select the Telephone method, it gives you a long number to type in to the automated phone system, which returns another long number to type in to Windows and you're good to go. Takes about 10 minutes.

WordsmithMR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2015
Murica
Yea. I figured it out. Doesn't require calling Microsoft. Just a few Prompt Cmds just to deactivate it.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
@WordsmithMR

in admin command prompt, type this to uninstall the key. (Right click and run as Administrator)
Code:
slmgr /upk

To install a new key, type this
Code:
slmgr /ipk XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

To activate windows after installing new key, type this
Code:
slmgr /ato

Use these codes to check activation status
Code:
slmgr /dli
Code:
slmgr /xpr
Code:
slmgr /dlv

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.