Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pit29

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2006
The Golden State
Hi all,

Not sure whether I should have posted this to the Design and Graphics forum... Anyways.

I've got a problem with a jpeg file that apparently is corrupted. It's not a memory card issue. (I got this file via email.) If I open it in Preview, I see the upper third, and the rest is grey. Photoshop doesn't open it at all (says it's corrupted), and GraphicConverter and Pixelmator do the same as Preview. Judging by it's size, the information should be there; pixel count is 2550 x 3510, and that's definitively portrait.

Are there any tools to try to repair this file? (I'm on a Mac.) I can't get this file a second time, and, unfortunately, it's kinda confidential, so I cannot attach it here.

I'd welcome any suggestions!
Pit

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
That's what I thought initially as well... Would that be possible, given that the file size looks big enough for a complete picture?

If there's one corrupt byte/pixel at some point in the file, this can cause the remainder of the file to be unreadable, hence the "grey area".

If you have access to a Windows machine, there seem to be many more utilities available for fixing corrupt jpegs than in OS X. I've used irfanview in the past but there are probably better alternatives.

pit29

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2006
The Golden State
Thanks. Tried that, and any programs I could find on available windows machines... None worked, though.

Guess I'll have to write that off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.