Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caprica21

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2014
I have maxed out 2010 MacBook Pro 13" (1 TB SSD, 8 GB RAM). Though hardware is in excellent condition, I feel its time to upgrade. I primarily use for software development and advanced amateur level photo/video editing (not professional) using Adobe tools.

I am thinking of 2018 MacBook Pro 15" - i7, 32 GB RAM, ?? HDD but still need some convincing :)

My current MBP lasted for over 8 years (and still going and will use as secondary). So whatever I purchase, I am expecting to last very long :) I am not a frequent upgrader. So it is important for me to select right one that last for a decade.

Most of you will have these questions, so I am hoping for some advice to help me decide.

1) Most of reviews says i9 is not worth extra money vs i7 -- as it offers negligible performance boost due to thermal throttling. What I am worried about is -- Apple may give software update in future to improve i9 performance. Is it worth extra money and buy i9 now? Interested in thoughts/ opinions.

2) 16 vs 32 GB. I am inclined to max out to 32 GB as upgrade is not possible. Though I may not see benefit right now, but in future?

3) Should I go with 512 GB with external HDD or 1 TB HDD. I cannot believe storage space is soooo costly at apple! (Currently I am using 900 GB with almost 700 GB is media). As developer, I may run Windows 10 using VMWare.

4) I have HDMI and Display Port Monitors (27" 4K support) ,several USB devices (Scanner, Printer etc), iPhone, iPad. Any recommendation for connectors ( I want to reduce number of connectors. Preferably one that services all of above devices? )

5) I heard some credit card provides additional warranties. Is it true? If yes what are options/recommendations. And how it stands against Apple care?

6) Last, where should I purchase to get best value? I am in NJ

Thoughts / Suggestions?

Thanks!

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise
I upgraded my 2010 13" MBP to 16 gb of RAM, as I do some VMs in Fusion and I am still very happy with this machine. The SSD upgrade from the old HD was the key to speediness with the newer OSes. Right now, I'm on El Cap.

I'm not replacing mine until I have a good reason to. :)

caprica21

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2014
I upgraded my 2010 13" MBP to 16 gb of RAM, as I do some VMs in Fusion and I am still very happy with this machine. The SSD upgrade from the old HD was the key to speediness with the newer OSes. Right now, I'm on El Cap.

I'm not replacing mine until I have a good reason to. :)

Which RAM are you using? I thought 2010 MBP 13" only supports max of 8 GB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.