Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RenaldoG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2021
Hi everyone,

I have a 2019 5K iMac that just went out of warranty and the 1TB Fusion Drive has been very underwhelming. I bought the Samsung 870 QVO 1TB SSD and simply want to know if there will be a difference in whether I run it internally or externally. I know that there are faster options out there but it's already bought and I just wanted to know if opening up the iMac and replacing the Fusion Drive with the SSD I bought will have a significant difference compared to me using it as an external SSD boot device.

I have opened up many iMacs so I am not scared of replacing the FD with the SSD. Just want to know if there is a significant drop in performance.

Thanks for the feedback in advance.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My guess is that if you get a USB3.1 gen2 enclosure like this:

... then you'll see speeds that are around 90% (or better) of what you would see if you mounted the drive internally.

If It was me, I'd pick the external enclosure and do it that way...

Reactions: RenaldoG

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
The Samsung 870 QVO is a SATA III SSD, which means its maximum performance will be 6 Gbps as that is the maximum SATA III bus speed. A USB 3.2 Gen 1 enclosure will give you at most 5 Gbps while a USB 3.2 Gen 2 enclosure is capable of up to 10 Gbps. I don't know whether or not USB 3.2 Gen 2 enclosures with internal SATA ports exist though but if they do they should perform around 20% faster than a USB 3.2 Gen 1 enclosure.

My advice is to not bother and simply connect it externally. I've been running my 2017 iMac from an externally connected Samsung 970 EVO NVMe drive in a USB 3.2 Gen 2 enclosure since August of 2020 and had absolutely zero issues since. Performance is excellent (750 MB/s read, 700 MB/s write due to FileVault2 encryption and no T2 chip), heat dissipiation is superb, and my overall experience has been flawless and very smooth.

Reactions: RenaldoG

RenaldoG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2021
This is the speed I am getting. Write speed is obviously problematic. Any advice?

Screenshot 2021-04-21 at 21.41.33.png

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Are you getting this right from the start or does it start out at higher numbers and then drop? And which USB enclosure are you using?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.