Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBoss101

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
Hey all,

I recently cracked my mid-2017 iMac's display glass whilst installing an SSD. In the past, I recall taking the display glass off the computer with a suction cup, but it appears as though the glass is glued (?) to the display panel on this model.

Is there any way to replace just the glass? The display still works perfectly fine, but the crack runs straight down the center of it...

Alternatively, does anybody know if you can upgrade the display in this model? If I'm stuck replacing the entire LCD, it would be really cool if I could install a higher resolution panel. Guessing this is not possible.

Rich B22

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2019
I believe that the old magnetic screens went out with the 2012 iMacs when they moved to the thin body. Yes, it has been replaced with a glue strip to hold the assembly in and the glass is bonded to the display. no chance to replace just the glass.
I have gone through the same situation as you on a 2017 27" iMac and lived with mine for awhile as the crack was off to the side. Recently found a brand new screen on Ebay for $360.
Don't know if higher resolution screens are available than the Apple Retina's, however, Apple doesn't make them and I doubt that any other manufacturer's would work. Apple is pretty proprietary with it's connectors and technology.
Good luck

iBoss101

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
I believe that the old magnetic screens went out with the 2012 iMacs when they moved to the thin body. Yes, it has been replaced with a glue strip to hold the assembly in and the glass is bonded to the display. no chance to replace just the glass.
I have gone through the same situation as you on a 2017 27" iMac and lived with mine for awhile as the crack was off to the side. Recently found a brand new screen on Ebay for $360.
Don't know if higher resolution screens are available than the Apple Retina's, however, Apple doesn't make them and I doubt that any other manufacturer's would work. Apple is pretty proprietary with it's connectors and technology.
Good luck

I'm not looking for something better than a retina display -- I have the base model 1080p panel right now, and I am wondering if I can upgrade to the retina display. I don't need more than that for a 21.5in display :)

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
I'm not looking for something better than a retina display -- I have the base model 1080p panel right now, and I am wondering if I can upgrade to the retina display. I don't need more than that for a 21.5in display :)

Replace the glass is doable.
But it's not a job for common user or common repair shop, as it requires a few pro-machines and materials.

iBoss101

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
Replace the glass is doable.
But it's not a job for common user or common repair shop, as it requires a few pro-machines and materials.
Where does one get the glass?

I am up to doing it, but I need to source the glass...

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
According to EveryMac.com the 21 inch models all came with a 4K display and the 27 inch models with the 5K display. So it doesn't look like there would be any higher resolution displays available if you have a 21 inch. At least not with the proprietary Apple connector and the front glass.

themadrhino

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2010
Northern VA
Hello,

My special needs son was startled by thunderstorm and cracked screen. It was fixed perfectly at Apple Store for $700 and will work it. After that I got Apple Care which I never imagined on a desktop. Good luck and can be fixed but need Apple Store to fix.

iBoss101

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
Hello,

My special needs son was startled by thunderstorm and cracked screen. It was fixed perfectly at Apple Store for $700 and will work it. After that I got Apple Care which I never imagined on a desktop. Good luck and can be fixed but need Apple Store to fix.
Was this recently? I don't really see a reason to spend $700 on an iMac that is worth less than $200 on its own.

Reactions: ignatius345

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Where does one get the glass?

I am up to doing it, but I need to source the glass...

Normally you can salvage the glass from a dead LCD panel.
But I think you statement of "I am up to doing it" is more relevant to attitude than capability.
You can take a look at the below video and re-assess your capability.

With professional machines and tools. The process is pretty much like what they have done with smartphone screens, just at a much larger scale.

Without professional machines and tools. The guy in the video actually tried to salvage the glass from a dead LCD screen. He did use the spatula at first.

This guy used a guitar string as the thread saw....

Waragainstsleep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2003
UK
You can buy the glass on AliExpress but the shipping goes put the cost up somewhat.

i'm interested in trying this. I currently have 5 or 6 perfectly good LCDs with busted glass.

kirbyrun

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2009
I replaced a cracked screen on a 2015 27" iMac. As @Waragainstsleep indicates, the shipping costs really bump up the price of things considerably.

You have to use the proper tool to cut through the adhesive holding the screen in place, then use alcohol to get every last bit of residue off. Then you hook up the new screen and use glue strips (usually supplied with the new screen) to put the new screen on. It's painstaking and very detailed work, but absolutely doable if you have steady hands and attention to detail.

iFixit has good guides to the whole process: https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iMac_Intel

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"Was this recently? I don't really see a reason to spend $700 on an iMac that is worth less than $200 on its own."

Then maybe it's time to start shopping for a replacement.

This is one reason why I've cautioned folks again and again about prying open an iMac.
You might get the job done without complications.
Or....

(think how much less trouble you would have had by just plugging in a USB3 SSD and using that as an external boot drive...)

Waragainstsleep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2003
UK
I actually think I have 7 of these now I've done a recount. I'd be interested in seeing someone glue the new glass on. I have no idea what kind of adhesive dries 1mm or so thick but perfectly optically transparent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.