Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimbo110

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Denmark
I own a old iMac and a old iPad can't empty the iPad for photos and transfer into external harddrive since operating system is too old. I'm consider buying a MacBook Air or a iPad Pro. Would it be possible to transfer photos from a iPad Pro to a external or do I need a Mac for that?

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
If I understand you correctly, you have a Mac running an operating system (probably Lion) that can't be upgraded to a level where current iTunes can be installed to talk to your iPad (apparently an iPad Pro, though you refer to it as old also). There are possibly two routes for transferring your files. Both involve vendor apps in conjunction with vendor hardware. One way is using a wifi-enabled hard disk with an accompanying app; I think that both Seagate and Western Digital have products like this. The other way is through a flash storage device that plugs into the lightning connector on your iPad; I think that Sandisk (a Western Digital company now) makes products like this. Here is an article that discusses some options for this situation:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/iphone/best-external-storage-for-iphone-ipad-2017-3579792/

jimbo110

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Denmark
Thanks Flaubert great ideas. Think that flash drive would be a great solution in the as show in the link. Would investigate it future. Where mostly focused on a direct transfer to hard disk but flash drive would solve it too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.