Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rcorai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Argentina
Hi,

I'm moving from iMac 21 (1TB) to MBP 13 (512GB).

On my iMac I have:
  • Local Photos library (40GB approx - Sync with iCloud).
  • iTunes library (200GB approx - iTunes Match).
Also, I have a Time Capsule (2TB).

I have a few questions:
  1. Should I backup my local photo library or is not necessary since it's synced with iCloud?
  2. Is enough if I sync Photos one last time and set a new library on my new MBP to sync with iCloud?
  3. I would like to reduce the size of my iTunes library. I don't want to see apps I bought. Is there a way to do it safely?
  4. Do you suggest I set iTunes from scratch in my new MBP? In that case will I need to restore any song or other media element or Apple will restore them automatically?
Thanks!

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Are you using Time Machine to backup the Mac to that Time Capsule? If yes, then you should already have the backup.

How much of the 1TB on the iMac is used? If you have close to 1TB on the iMac, you have a lot of choices to make regarding what you put on the MBP.

Is the "backup" for the purpose of copying your data to the new Mac, or because you need to backup your computer?

Now, since you have iTunes Match and iCloud Photo Library, it's not essential to back up either of those libraries - they can be downloaded from the cloud. But what about the rest of your documents and data?

rcorai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Argentina
I was using Time Machine to backup. But iMac disk is almost full so it will not fit on my new MBP. This is one of the reason I was considering to start a new iTunes library. But on that library I have custom mp3 files. I'll have to move them manually right? But how to find them?

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
Even if you delete iTunes and Photos altogether you will still have only saved 240GB. If your old drive is 1TB and almost full, you will still have way too much stuff to fit on a 500GB drive. You are going to have to remove another 260 GB or so. How are you going to do that? Do you know what else is taking up all that much room on your drive?

Maybe you need to bite the bullet and buy a 1TB MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.