Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

checkonetwo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2021
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Apple support changing their processes re:replacing AirPods Pros. In the past I had a lot of the crackling issues and a lot of replacements from Apple themselves.

That process was pretty much: tell apple of the problems, they place a hold on my card for the replacement AirPods (as I’ll have 2 of the products in my possession for a brief time), they send out replacement AirPods Pro, and I send back the faulty ones in the same package the replacements come in. And I don’t go anytime without the AirPods. This was nigh on perfect in my view.

Having chatted to apple support today, the new process seems to be: Receive a box from Apple, send the faulty AirPods to Apples service centre, they test and confirm they are faulty, then they send out replacements. Which leaves me being without the AirPods for a week.

Though the issue I am experiencing this time round is due to me sounding like I'm miles away when talking instead of the crackling issues. Is the replacement process different under the crackling replacement service program?

Does anyone know when this change happened? I’m in the UK fyi.

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
I just replaced both AirPods and the case... it was they ship me new ones and then I ship back the old one.

Reactions: Peter K.

sird28

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2012
I just did the same thing, left AirPod decided to start having crackling and would stop if I had the mic turned off, so basically no transparency or noise cancelling at all. Call in tell them the systems they have to diagnose the issue.

Could have taken to the Apple Store but no appointments available I ask to send them in thinking that they would place a hold on my credit card and give me new ones. Nope.... Had to send them in which was last Wednesday with no word at all from Apple on receiving them or when to possibly expect any information.

Finally today an email was sent out today and they are on their way to be here on Wednesday so 7 full days... The waiting for a free repair is fine, not great, but I am not super impressed with the communication on the repair. They could have been lost for all I knew and no updates at all while tracking the repair for 5 days.

I preferred the old way..... I am in USA (Michigan)

chiefdave

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
I've just run into the same issue. I had the problem a few months ago and they only replaced one of the AirPods (the left), shipped a new one and then I shipped the old one back.

Now got the same problem with the right AirPod and they want me to send it back for investigation and a quote on the repair. Saying it will be a week before they even diagnose it.

To say I'm not impressed would be an understatement. Really don't feel valued as a customer these days. I spend a lot of money on Apple kit and in the last couple of years seem to have nothing but problems. What's happened?

My MacBook Pro has been returned twice for a replacement keyboard, the second time they had it for nearly 6 weeks - for the first 10 days it was sat on a shelf and not even looked at.

I'm heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem with a huge media library but I think I'm going to have to look at other options.

delnerdo

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2011
When this happened to me recently, the support rep said it was being processed under a Repair Program rather than AppleCare. Lousy solution.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
I JUST had it done and in the process of sending the old one back. Started having the crackling a couple days ago. Called support to see what they would say. Explained the crackling and in my case, it started with a very high pitched sound that was piercing in my ear (Left one). Then noticed when I spoke, I heard something almost robotic. Tried all the steps I could think of like unpairing with my account, reset to factory, etc. Advised support of this. I've had them since May 5th. A little over a month. I have AppleCare+ on them given the issues I've heard people mention here.

Support first told me I could send it in and pay $29 to have a replacement sent. OR - they can send one to me, pay $29 and a hold for $96.12 that would be refunded once they receive the old one back. I kinda went off on the person saying I not only should be covered 100% given the age of these things, but ALSO have AppleCare - NO WAY I'm paying anything for a replacement - THE PART FAILED. Tech put me on hold. Eventually came back and said I didn't have to pay the $29. So I went with the $96 hold and received the replacement today. Now, sending the other one back.

It was explained to me that my purchase date wasn't in their system. Bought them from Amazon. Tried to buy AppleCare and ended up calling Apple as the site said they weren't eligible. Corrected it in their system at that time and I could buy AppleCare. Apparently, the service area uses a different database? Bizarre.

SpringKid

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2019
I got both buds replaced a few weeks back, at the Apple Store.

I had an issue with one, but they did some test and decided I should have both replaced. But they did not replace the case.

Reactions: Minarets

chiefdave

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
Am I just unlucky or is there very little quality control? Got mine in May 2020. Left went in January this year, right went in April and now the replacement left has gone.

Even if there was an issue that wasn't originally picked up during manufacture shouldn't the replacements they're now sending out not have the same issue?

To be honest the whole Apple experience is becoming very frustrating. Gone are the days of 'it just works' and hardware that lasts. My MacBook Pro has had three warranty repairs and now has another keyboard issue. For the price the kit should be a better standard than it is.

Reactions: 0194839
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.